4 bulbs or 6 bulbs? Picking a new t5 fixture.

Vicarious Cynic

I started my tank with 2, 2 bulb 24" t5's. Nice start, now three months in I'm wanting to up it a bit. Looking at an AquaticLife fixture, will likely switch out the bulbs. Question now is 4 bulbs or 6. My tank is only 40 gallons (long). No immediate plans to upgrade, but those 75 gallons sure look nice. If I ever did upgrade to a 75, would a 4 bulb T5 be enough light to reach the bottom for say... a clam?

Other thoughts on lighting are welcome - I like lots of info before choosing.

P.S. - Paypal came through for me. I'm in the club!

On my 72 (which is pretty similar to a 75) I am running 6 and I would not keep a clam. In retrospect, I would prefer an 8. I would not consider a 4 light, IMHO. You will outgrow it way too soon and your color balancing of bulbs is too limited.

I have heard that Saltwater Fantasy is running a blowout sale on Aquaeon tanks. Might be time to stockpile?

I would look for a used Tek light. Basically bulletproof and you can get very sturdy tank mounting brackets for it. Usually runs around $275-$350 used for an 8 light. And you should be able to get most of your $ back if you sell.

Sunshine also sells a plant growing version for cheaper that isn't too bad.

The Aquatic Life comes with bulbs, but they are likely a compromise and the product isn't time tested.

• 2 weeks later...
I would look for a used Tek light. Basically bulletproof and you can get very sturdy tank mounting brackets for it. Usually runs around $275-$350 used for an 8 light. And you should be able to get most of your $ back if you sell.

Sunshine also sells a plant growing version for cheaper that isn't too bad.

The Aquatic Life comes with bulbs, but they are likely a compromise and the product isn't time tested.

FYI hort version of the Tek light has only 1 cord and 1 switch. Cost savings is hardly anything, and most want the control of 2 cords/switches.