Thanks Josh! And everyone, if you ever want to see some amazing corals...

siskiou

Just wanted to thank you again for the kalk and the other goodies!

I was expecting to pick up just a little kalk to do in my two pesky aptaisia!

When I saw his tank, my eyes just about popped out of their sockets!

I've never seen anything like it in person before. The most amazing coloration of corals I've ever seen, except maybe on the TOTM thread on RC.

And it's VHO lighting!

Makes me almost want to throw out the T5s, and who needs MH!

Sorry I'm going off the deep end here, but I'm deeply impressed!

He sells frags, too!

My birthday is coming up in a few days, and I know where I'll be shopping soon! :)

-Susanne

Thanks Susanne. I'm looking for the blushing icon but can't find it. hope stuff does well in your tank!

josh

So far, so good!

The monti had extension pretty much immediately and the little Kenya tree is slowly coming out.

I hope it keeps it's amazing color!

I hope the sponge will make it, too!

Thanks again!

Oh, I forgot to ask, what kinds of supplements do you add to your tanks?

Whatever it is besides the light and husbandry that makes your corals so amazing. :)

And I thought he was holding out on us by not supplying pictures. OK, now you have also proven that VHO's can sustain life as I am a fellow VHOer as well. Your secret is out of the closet :) 2 Blues, 2 Actinic White; 48" here. Did your frags start small, be specific here. Mine are small, no acros yet.

My SPS's are mostly under 1 1/2" or so and curious how fast you have seen growth. Personally I've had shrooms, zoos and hammer about double/split in a little over 1 month or so. SPS's I have are fairly new and holding their own. Hold your breath you Metal Heads, I know you may get faster growth, but unless you supply the lights, bulbs, new hood, fans, exhaust and/or chiller, hold it a little longer.(sick)

thanks again susanne. I use the seachem supplements. Buffer(ph to 8.3), reef builder (alkalinity), and calcium. I dont have a strict regimen, but should. I'm probably closest to the garf methedology, minus the kalkwasser. I try to use kalkwasser for my makeup but go in spurts. religously for a few weeks, then not for a few. I don't test much anymore but can tell when stuff isn't growing or what not that I need to add more of this or that. Lately i've just been working on keeping my calcium at 400+ and haven't worried much about alkalinity. Coralline algae seems to thrive in my tank at 8 dkh and up. Below that and starts to die off. Naturally It seems to stay at about 4dkh and some coralline will grow but not all colors. The stony corals like the high calcium levels. I just put carbon in the tank after no carbon for about a year, not sure why i did it, mostly to see if I could notice any changes in stuff. still up in the air there.

yes, me too on the VHO's, two pure white and two pure blue, 48" 110watt uri bulbs. Most all frags were started small. I can definitaly tell when I'm lagging on calcium, stuff slows growing noticeably. Probably started adding sps's after tank was two to three months old and knock on wood have only lost a couple corals, all due to me messing up something. I'm not much of a feeder, will sometimes go a few days without feeding. Can definitaly tell when i feed to much by hair algae cropping up.

Im a fan of the deep sand bed and do nothing to maintain it myself, no stirring or what not. When my tank was going through the hair algae stage at the beginning I added a tigertail cucumber, and I think he does amazing sand sifting detritus eating work.

Ill work on some pictures. I think one of my photo probs is shrinking it to get it on the site. Any suggestions? Picture starts at 1 MB plus, have to shrink it down a bunch, and then don't know how to make it large on the site.

happy reefin!

josh

Sounds promising! You should add those details to your tank thread.

As for pictures, I like to use Photoshop because it is so versatile. It's spendy, but we can use student/teacher editions and get huge savings. You can try finding some free software at download.com, check the digital photography section. You'll find tons of tools under each category, but you can filter for FREE software, then sort by user and/or cnet ratings/reviews.

Good rule of thumb to remember, computer monitors only show 72dpi and your camera likely takes 300dpi for print.

Personally, I crop the unwanted, then change dpi, then the actual photo size to an appropriate/acceptable showing. Under my 2 sided reef I try to keep the pictures under 6" wide, but surely kills some people with dialup when many pictures are shown. This forum only allows up to a certian KB, but if you have your own server, or use photobucket which most people seem to, you can make your pictures whatever file size you like to show on forumns. Personally, I like to see bigger pictures, shows more detail of the corals and tanks. Tanks are hard with the width and all.

When you're ready to post and want the "actual" sized picture to show on this forum, click the yellow box above in the message tools. Has Mountain and a sun, when mouse hovers it reads "insert image". In the pop up box, you enter the website address where the picture resides.... like my pictures are at http:\\www.therealmcdonalds.com\reef\ , but I just add the name of the file to be displayed such as tanknov706.jpg. So if I wanted that picture to show in full, I would put in the "pop up" box, http://www.therealmcdonalds.com\reef\tanknov706.jpg . If you upload/store the files on this forum and not your own, it only seems to show a thumbnail and it's probably due to being a bandwidth saver.