Coral Banking

reefnjunkie

Anybody here doing this whether as a small group or as a collective club.

Short definition;

Spreading frags of your corals around (for free) in the unlikely event your tank crashes, you get your corals back (for free)

Nice article about it in the reef mag Garrett handed me when I was down last week.

I know Frank, Wannareef, and Chewie have mentioned it.

Would it be tough to receive free frags of my Purple Monster, Pink Lemonade, Garf Bonsai, Oregon Torts, Cali torts, 30K leagues (RIP), Red Plant, Pearlberry, Purple Nana, Frogskin, Borealis, blah blah blah.

You get the idea

I think it would be tough-Call me what ever you want, but I would have a hard time giving these frags to anyone who has been at this less than 1-2 years minimum.

Being relatively new here, has this ever been discussed or tried????

Awesome concept-I think the wife would have a problem if I asked if she minded if I went and spent about 6,000.00 to replace my livestock (if I could find them on sale-(laugh))

Anybody here doing this whether as a small group or as a collective club.

Short definition;

Spreading frags of your corals around (for free) in the unlikely event your tank crashes, you get your corals back (for free)

Nice article about it in the reef mag Garrett handed me when I was down last week.

I know Frank, Wannareef, and Chewie have mentioned it.

Would it be tough to receive free frags of my Purple Monster, Pink Lemonade, Garf Bonsai, Oregon Torts, Cali torts, 30K leagues (RIP), Red Plant, Pearlberry, Purple Nana, Frogskin, Borealis, blah blah blah.

You get the idea

I think it would be tough-Call me what ever you want, but I would have a hard time giving these frags to anyone who has been at this less than 1-2 years minimum.

Being relatively new here, has this ever been discussed or tried????

Awesome concept-I think the wife would have a problem if I asked if she minded if I went and spent about 6,000.00 to replace my livestock (if I could find them on sale-(laugh))

Frank and I did it to a point when I was doing reef years back. I think if you got a frag to spare and you trust the person why not? I've known him for 15 yrs now so it wasnt hard decission for me.

Matter of fact I wonder if he still has some purple monster (whistle)

I have done this on a limited scale thus far, but after losing my favorite couple of acans i am going to do this from now on. Franklin gave me a frag of his fav pavona and its lucky he did cuz i think his went down the tube, so i can resupply him with it :D

Reefit has done this a few times already that I know of. Problem that I have is I can't really frag a torch, open brain, green bubble coral, etc...

I like the idea. Most of the Share the loves that I have done were the only frag I have had of those pieces. At some point in time If I ever wanted one again I'm sure I could contact those that have them but that wasn't my intention of doing them. The problem with the Share the love is that it seems that everytime I post something I have poor results on people interested... And all this time I thought free was a good price?? Oh well.

coral banking really only works if you have groups by genus or compatible corals, etc. you don't want to put a prize sps colony in with a hydnophora to have it killed in a week from fighting. there would have to be alot of thought put into how the bank is established and what qualifies your tank as a bank, etc.

Is this that different that just trading corals? (and with that list, we should talk) Anyone that I have ever traded corals with has an open door with me to get a frag of either piece if anything ever happens to theirs - for whatever reason.

But the idea in general to get pieces of your corals our there in case of a crash is a good one.

So I have gotten a few PM's as well as the Q's in the thread.

I was really trying to see if there were folks here locally that are doing this-I am not ready to start "banking" anything really at this time as most of my stuff is fairly small and I don’t see a "need" to bank a blue Tenius or ORA red planet-both are nice but readily available.

Granted if you had back ups of all your stuff that would save a ton of money-

So for me that would be banking roughly 65 DIFFERENT SPS acros and roughly 30 chalices-(laugh)

Who wants to stock there tank for free-(nono)

I would like to however revisit this after I spend some time checking BAR's thread or program's logistics.

I guess I see this as being more an SPS (maybe chalices) thing. I think the idea is great but maybe its me but I see "a little planning" being needed to really do it "officially".

I think its a great idea, I just don’t see how it all plays out, i.e., I got one frag I give to "Hayward", but I want a double redundancy plan or triple or quadruple or.......so how does that all play out (rhetorical question, its just an example)

Anyway it is a good idea and can it be nice for those 50-75 dollar (or more) frags that we/I buy that are only 3/4" to 1", (unless I am the only crazy one) that pays that kind of cash for a colored twig-(nutty)

So I have gotten a few PM's as well as the Q's in the thread.

I was really trying to see if there were folks here locally that are doing this-I am not ready to start "banking" anything really at this time as most of my stuff is fairly small and I don’t see a "need" to bank a blue Tenius or ORA red planet-both are nice but readily available.

Granted if you had back ups of all your stuff that would save a ton of money-

So for me that would be banking roughly 65 DIFFERENT SPS acros and roughly 30 chalices-(laugh)

Who wants to stock there tank for free-(nono)

I would like to however revisit this after I spend some time checking BAR's thread or program's logistics.

I guess I see this as being more an SPS (maybe chalices) thing. I think the idea is great but maybe its me but I see "a little planning" being needed to really do it "officially".

I think its a great idea, I just don’t see how it all plays out, i.e., I got one frag I give to "Hayward", but I want a double redundancy plan or triple or quadruple or.......so how does that all play out (rhetorical question, its just an example)

Anyway it is a good idea and can it be nice for those 50-75 dollar (or more) frags that we/I buy that are only 3/4" to 1", (unless I am the only crazy one) that pays that kind of cash for a colored twig-(nutty)

wait, your taking pm's now? i shoulda waited to buy all those acans.

I have also given Travis a couple of frags of some "better" frags in the hopes that IF I lose them he will be able to get me a frag back. Garret I believe has a couple also, 1 I know for sure.

PS- I am interested in this idea/sharing too. As I believe it is the future of the hobby.