4' - 4 bulb t-5 light recommendation

Vicarious Cynic

It's my birthday today, and my better half said "I'm getting you the new light you want, but you need to pick it out" (the benefits of being married for 10 + years).

I have a 40 gallon breeder, with 2 - 24" 2 bulb lights (Aquatic life with giesemann bulbs).It's my first tank and is doing well (I think) three months in. Would like a 4' light with 4 t5 HO bulbs. Would like to have the bulbs on two timers, and have some moonlights (maybe - sounds cool, open to opinions). Eventually I'd like to add an anemone, and a clam. Currently have a torch, a candy cane, a couple of zoa, a star polyp and a finger leather - plus a purple dart fish and a royal gramma.

Any suggestions for lights I could look at? Thanks!

It's my birthday today, and my better half said "I'm getting you the new light you want, but you need to pick it out" (the benefits of being married for 10 + years).

I have a 40 gallon breeder, with 2 - 24" 2 bulb lights (Aquatic life with giesemann bulbs).It's my first tank and is doing well (I think) three months in. Would like a 4' light with 4 t5 HO bulbs. Would like to have the bulbs on two timers, and have some moonlights (maybe - sounds cool, open to opinions). Eventually I'd like to add an anemone, and a clam. Currently have a torch, a candy cane, a couple of zoa, a star polyp and a finger leather - plus a purple dart fish and a royal gramma.

Any suggestions for lights I could look at? Thanks!

The Sunlight Supply 48" Tek light fixtures are nice. They come in 4,6 & 8 bulb models.

i've killed 2 clams and an anemone with a 4 bulb t5 fixture. go 6 or more or go halide or you won't have enough bulbs to cover the spectrum you'll need to grow light sensitive animals and still be happy with the way it looks. JMO

I dont think it was the T5's fault thats a little crazy talk, sorry.

I dont think it was the T5's fault thats a little crazy talk' date=' sorry.[/quote']

its the lack of appropriate light, spectrum, power and placement. to much actinic not enough daylight which cuts back on the look and feel. i have a 6 bulb fixture now that works wonders over the 4 bulb fixture. also have halides from 175w, 250w, 400w. have 3 clams and 5 anemone's ranging from 1" to 24" across in 3 different species. proof is in the pudding for me but thats just my experience. My opinion is don't limit your options if you can have more versatility up front. better to be safe than sorry :)

Speaking of crazy. Have you started the 700g yet? Are you gonna do a build thread?

I will definitely be doing a build thread, i bought the tank, sump, pump and stand last week. got some of it at my place and the rest in storage. i'm remodeling the house first before i get to heavy into the tank. Its killing me staring at an empty tank but good things come to those who wait, i guess.(scratch)

I will definitely be doing a build thread' date=' i bought the tank, sump, pump and stand last week. got some of it at my place and the rest in storage. i'm remodeling the house first before i get to heavy into the tank. Its killing me staring at an empty tank but good things come to those who wait, i guess.(scratch)[/quote']

A 6' 300g is the biggest I could fit in the house unless I want to be a bachelor again. Anything bigger and it is out to the garage. Or buy a bigger house so I can have a bigger tank.:D I look forward to the thread.

If you get the sunpower fixture with 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue and a UVL Actinic White lamp, Im pretty sure you can keep clams,and sps.

And it will look good too!

I'm running 1 ati plus, 1 pure, 1 act white And 1 12k. Brown teardrop maxi

under halides lived 2 years, lasted about 3 months under that t5 config. Blue maxima lasted about 3-4 weeks. Jme. I run all clams under halides now.

under halides lived 2 years, lasted about 3 months under that t5 config. Blue maxima lasted about 3-4 weeks. Jme. I run all clams under halides now.

There are alot of variables...Tank depth,water quality,ballast,reflectors, ect.

What fixture where you using?

I Love my t5's, Never had a problem keeping anything.

I have 8 over my 120, and 4 over my 60 frag tank

The ATI fixtures are on a whole different level than other fixtures like the TEK, they are actively cooled correctly, use the best reflectors available, and use ballasts designed to run T5s. Combine this with their bulbs and you will have PLENTY of par. I have a par meter and my Sunpowers are able to put out over 500 par at the sandbed and nearly 1000 par at the surface of my 20" tall tank. I had to raise the fixtures about 14" off the surface in order not to bleach and burn all of my lower light corals and I am still able to have sps and clams. I have a 16"+ clam that is doing very well.

If t5s are done correctly, they can be just as good and IMO better for coral coloration than halides. The key with T5s is to cool the ballast and the "hot" end of the bulbs to just the right temp. Too cool and they don't burn as bright, too hot and they will wear prematurely.

I'm running a coralife 4 bulb 48" fixture. It works great for softies, most LPS and some hardy SPS if they are close to the top.

I am in agreement with everyone, my initial post was to explain that T5's can very easily become inadequate if done incorrectly and to make sure you weigh options and setup your tank lighting right the first time. I also have a 6 bulb fixture that i bought from grassi that has been doing very well with everything i grow in it. but as usual, it always seems that i end back up on halides to do the best work for me.

I will definitely be doing a build thread' date=' i bought the tank, sump, pump and stand last week. got some of it at my place and the rest in storage. i'm remodeling the house first before i get to heavy into the tank. Its killing me staring at an empty tank but good things come to those who wait, i guess.(scratch)[/quote']

This sounds like exactly what I am going thru on my build....remodel first, then the new tank..

Although I did manage to run 2 20a circuits to where the sump room is going to be last weekend..so I guess that counts as a start! (rock2)