Thinking of buying a SWC Skimmer

JonBoy

Im in need of a new skimmer that will handle around 180gal and was looking at the SWC 180 Extreme skimmer and was wanting input before i lay down 375 bucks. Ive heard good things about the SWC's and i like the small foot print and i was told their really quiet.

probably not enough of a difference to make that big of a difference...

I got my 200 right before "cones" made their big move...I am convinced that the pump is as important as the skimmer design...

If I had a 180 gallon tank, I would opt for the MSX250 and place a Bubble blaster 3000 on it...

180 or 200 might be a little less than you need if tank is 180...

DrMerle

its all relative to your bioload and feeding habits. sizing by volume is more of a rule of thumb. plus there are lots of manuf. that put size on a skimmer but a skimmer designed different can out perform a competitor and be half the size. If money is not an issue, it usually doesn't hurt to go bigger.

its all relative to your bioload and feeding habits. sizing by volume is more of a rule of thumb. plus there are lots of manuf. that put size on a skimmer but a skimmer designed different can out perform a competitor and be half the size. If money is not an issue' date=' it usually doesn't hurt to go bigger.[/quote']

Agreed! But you can go too big. If you put an oversized, wide necked skimmer into a smaller system it will skim like crazy for a while and then, because the volume of DOC's are reduced; it will kick back and have a hard time pushing DOC's up into the neck and cup. Saying all that most manufacturers generally over rate their skimmer. A smaller neck size and gradual taper from the body (this is the principal of cone skimmers) can do wonders. The SWC 300A (which is a bargain at $600 with Askoll pump) has a 12" body and 6 1/4" neck! But you need a big, consistant bioload to make it work.

Overall the SWC line is very nice and I doubt if you can go too far wrong.

You can go bigger, but don't go crazy!

Agreed! But you can go too big. If you put an oversized' date=' [i']wide necked[/i] skimmer into a smaller system it will skim like crazy for a while and then, because the volume of DOC's are reduced; it will kick back and have a hard time pushing DOC's up into the neck and cup. Saying all that most manufacturers generally over rate their skimmer. A smaller neck size and gradual taper from the body (this is the principal of cone skimmers) can do wonders. The SWC 300A (which is a bargain at $600 with Askoll pump) has a 12" body and 6 1/4" neck! But you need a big, consistant bioload to make it work.

Overall the SWC line is very nice and I doubt if you can go too far wrong.

You can go bigger, but don't go crazy!

agreed, i wouldn't put an $8000 skimmer on a 120g tank even if i could.

LOL

Let me guess....Sicce pump? If so....1) Takes a couple days or so for it to break in 2) most quiet down...a few don't 3) some say pump needs to be horizontal, some say vertical...horizontal is the correct alignment 4) often they have start up issues which most people figure out 5) difficulty in opening up to clean, replace or repair

I am a hater of these pumps and replaced mine with a Bubble Blaster 3000...night and day difference...

Don't doubt that you purchased a great skimmer...you'll have to decide if you can deal with pump issues...

DrMerle

Read my entire reply before you jump to link...

I think you have purchased one of the finest skimmers on the market...I really believe you won't find one better, especially for the money...I wouldn't trade my MSX200 for anything...having said all that, IMHO, Sicce pumps are total PITA...I could never get them apart, they rattle, clack,...and you haven't even gotten to the restart problems...

I researched and researched...I was going to have MSX upgrade a pump for me, and their sales rep said..."here is what people are doing and not regretting it...they are buying Bubble Blasters 3000 and putting them on (they just screw on...don't require any drilling or refitting)" This is the MSX rep talking me out of buying another new pump from him and sending me to another company!!

When you are fed up dealing with the Sicce, buy the Bubble Blaster 3000 and skim your troubles down the drain...do your research and read up on them...they are worth the money...

http://www.reefspecialty.com/p601/Super-Reef-Octopus-Bubble-Blaster-Pump-HY-3000S/product_info.html

DrMerle