New aquarium - first torch - is it sprouting new heads?

Vicarious Cynic

Started my first tank in May. Added a torch about 3 weeks ago. It's looking good - fully extended, about 6" under the top of the water. First picture is the torch - notice the lovely display of excessive epoxy. First time - at least it stuck to the rock. Second picture are some nubs that I haven't noticed until yesterday. I'm not sure if I just never noticed them, or if they are new heads forming. I guess my real question is how do I know when my torch is growing new heads?

470743eb.jpg

16e768ed.jpg

I know that frogspawn (a close cousin to torch) will both split heads and grow "nubs" from the base.

Most common is the splitting/branching. The top of the head starts to develop a second "mouth" in the center then the two mouths will start drifting apart. After a couple of months the mouths have separated so much that they are two different heads and the skeleton starts growing in different directions and looks like a Y.

As for "nubs" or "buds" they usually grow at the base of the flesh down on the skeleton. When they get a little larger (1/4 to 1/2 inch and separated from the main flesh), I would usually break them off and glue them to a frag disk and put them where they would get more light so they would grow.

HTH

dsoz