How much interest is there for custom setups?

ToxicPoison

So I'm currently on vacation debating a career change.

My current tank/stand seems to elicit a lot of "I've never seen a tank like that before" responses. Due to this, a bunch of friends of mine last night, were trying to convince me to go into the custom tank design business.

However, I'm having a hard time believing there's a large enough market to try starting a business in that area. In my head, there is essentially zero repeat business, since most people don't generally buy more than 1 custom tank. There's also the fact there is already a great acrylic designer in the area..

On the flip side, it is tempting since 98% of the tanks I see are the "wooden box" style, which I don't really care for. (No offense to any tank owners...to each their own.)

So, ignoring the logistics, the money involved and the idiocy of thinking of starting a new business in this economy, does the peanut gallery think there's much interest in custom tanks? How often do you hear someone say "I would get into the hobby if there was only a way to build a tank the way I want it?"

Probably a pipe dream, but can't hurt to ask I suppose...

Thanks in advance all!

Being in this hobby inevitably seems to spawn this thought, or ones like it. The hobby is great fun, and if only everyone knew how cool it was, more would jump in...I think. Then there would be a bigger market. I started a saltwater business myself and it is barely showing profits, and the marketing is hard as well. Take a deep breath, contemplate and as was suggested above, networking with some construction/designers would be a good idea. Getting noticed is difficult, even in this small niche.

Greg

I'm currently setting up for a 500G in wall build. It can be done without breaking the bank, I know about how much i'm going to spend and i've set my budgets. I think marketing is the hardest part. there are people out there spending 5-6G's on tanks and they are getting alot less than a nice custom tank setup. The reason, because they went to a LFS that sells tanks. I would say if you know how to market and get your info out there, then your chances of starting a business and keeping it going will be much better.

I'd use this down time in the construction market to refine your skills and fine tune exactly what the product will be. At this point its only your time that you are investing and there's no pressure to put bread on the table so maybe aim to make it a break-even proposition for materials. Be prepared to jump on the random opportunity that presents itself like family or friends that seem interested - tell them you'll do it at cost to see if they bite.

The market is not good for a hobby startup, especially if you plan on living off it. I would start by going to a few of the shops and doing some wholesale business through them. they can hook you up with clients and let the word of mouth build up from there. There is a market, but it is very small and extremely picky right now so it is not ideal. you may do better in retrofitting existing tanks. im sure you can find a lot of people who want an overflow built in or some customization to make their tank run better.

THANKS!

Wow! That was a lot more and well written feedback than I was expecting.

There's lots of great advice and tips in here..I'm a little overwhelmed by all of it to be honest. I was expecting a lot more "Dude, are you nuts? That'll never work!" kind of responses..I guess I'm more pessimistic than I thought.

Quick generic responses since there's no way I can respond to everyone directly (as much as I'd like to.)

1 - I'll be taking more detailed pictures of my setup tonight. I've been meaning to do that anyways. I don't think it's fair to add it to my demos/portfolio/etc though, since I didn't build it (just designed) and I'm no longer on good terms with the builder (who is out of business).

2 - Regarding cost, I've already considered some sort of payment plan with down payment system. I know "sticker shock" is a big drawback for a lot of people. It may be tough to do though since, how do you repossess a tank? I've also considered doing small "artsy" tanks (30ish gallons) to try and keep costs down and draw people in.

3 - I did consider the LFS route as well. I think that would be a great place to start too, but I'll probably have to have some finished products first as well.

4 - This definitely is not something I plan on starting immediately or even in the very near future. I plan to spend at least the next 6 months in a "normal" job, possibly not quite full-time, while getting whatever the hell it is I plan on doing long-term off the ground.

I think that hits the major points..If you have any more comments, feel free to keep them coming =)

Again, thanks for all your feedback. It's appreciated!

Wow! That was a lot more and well written feedback than I was expecting.

There's lots of great advice and tips in here..I'm a little overwhelmed by all of it to be honest. I was expecting a lot more "Dude, are you nuts? That'll never work!" kind of responses..I guess I'm more pessimistic than I thought.

Quick generic responses since there's no way I can respond to everyone directly (as much as I'd like to.)

1 - I'll be taking more detailed pictures of my setup tonight. I've been meaning to do that anyways. I don't think it's fair to add it to my demos/portfolio/etc though, since I didn't build it (just designed) and I'm no longer on good terms with the builder (who is out of business).

2 - Regarding cost, I've already considered some sort of payment plan with down payment system. I know "sticker shock" is a big drawback for a lot of people. It may be tough to do though since, how do you repossess a tank? I've also considered doing small "artsy" tanks (30ish gallons) to try and keep costs down and draw people in.

3 - I did consider the LFS route as well. I think that would be a great place to start too, but I'll probably have to have some finished products first as well.

4 - This definitely is not something I plan on starting immediately or even in the very near future. I plan to spend at least the next 6 months in a "normal" job, possibly not quite full-time, while getting whatever the hell it is I plan on doing long-term off the ground.

I think that hits the major points..If you have any more comments, feel free to keep them coming =)

Again, thanks for all your feedback. It's appreciated!

I am in the custom home / remodel business and I can tell you that word of mouth / recommendations and a good solid portfolio with examples of actual work speak the world. I've shown several customers examples on a website, but the best method is a referral or recommendation hands down, so it pays to know people that know you.

The market is not good for a hobby startup' date=' especially if you plan on living off it. I would start by going to a few of the shops and doing some wholesale business through them. they can hook you up with clients and let the word of mouth build up from there. There is a market, but it is very small and extremely picky right now so it is not ideal. you may do better in retrofitting existing tanks. im sure you can find a lot of people who want an overflow built in or some customization to make their tank run better.[/quote']

I meant to address this before, but obviously did not.

In your (collective your, not twitterbait directly) experience, do people generally have tanks lying around they want to retrofit? It seems that most tanks that people wish to have retrofitted are already in use. In that case, I think it's more stress than I'm willing to take on. If I'm mistaken, that's definitely an intriguing route...

I am in the custom home / remodel business and I can tell you that word of mouth / recommendations and a good solid portfolio with examples of actual work speak the world. I've shown several customers examples on a website' date=' but the best method is a referral or recommendation hands down, so it pays to know people that know you. [/quote']

Can we be friends? ;)

Seriously, that's great advice. Guess I'm going to have to figure out some way to build tanks in my "spare" time with my "spare" cash.. (scratch)

Dude' date=' are you nuts? That'll never work! [/quote']

Dude. Thank you for validating me!

I would think if you could construct a tank, and stock it with mature livestock in a high-end new show home with your name on it you may be able to generate a following?

You may get a, "Dear, remember that tank at that house we were considering? Although we didn't buy that house I loved that aquarium. I picked up one of his cards. Maybe we should give him a call"?

I would think if you could construct a tank, and stock it with mature livestock in a high-end new show home with your name on it you may be able to generate a following?

You may get a, "Dear, remember that tank at that house we were considering? Although we didn't buy that house I loved that aquarium. I picked up one of his cards. Maybe we should give him a call"?

Now that's a nifty idea as well..I'd imagine there may be a few home builder types looking to attract extra customers as well. This is something I'll have to consider further...thanks much!

I particularly enjoy how you elaborated on the conversation.

Well done.

I doff my cap to you dear sir.