Peppermint Shrimp babys??

dee77

• 3 weeks later...

You can raise them but it means daily work for a while. A friend gave me a batch once, they were ok floating as plankton except that if two encountered each other they would like as not rip a limb off and eat it. When they went to the bottom (settled) and assumed their adult form they were very territorial. I don't know how long that stage lasts, you can keep them in groups as adults, or maybe it was a peculiarity to my methods. I lost the babies about a week after settlement as a leak dripped freshwater while I was out of town.

Feeding them is not super hard but I did have to siphon what fell to the bottom which meant daily water changes. For like 6 weeks straight.

I know someone who had much better luck, using babies from the same tank I got mine from, in a much better system with commercial aquaculture food.

If you have the time and energy raising some is fun. Doing the cleaning really only involves like 15 minutes per day. If you had them you'd stare at them for 15 anyway so might as well do the cleaning at that time (:

Kate