questions about different fished used to cycle

sharoleb

I use to start the cycle with dead uncooked fish and some food (flakes and stuff like that).

There is another way, but this is a family forum and I can't tell. It is a source of ammonia we produce every few hours lol

Never tried that

I don't cycle with live fish either, i don't like the cruelty of it regardless of the meaness of the little unwanted fish. I used live sand from a well established tank, ammonia and feed some nice protein rich food a few times and it works fine.

Re: questions about different fished used to cycle

I use a pump and korellias to "cycle"....lol.....seriously I haven't cycled anything other than my 12g which was my first tank....didn't cycle the 36, 40g, 72, or 60....and had no issues. But there are quite a few options here for you to take your pic from.....all of which will most likely do the deed for ya....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I use to start the cycle with dead uncooked fish and some food (flakes and stuff like that).

There is another way, but this is a family forum and I can't tell. It is a source of ammonia we produce every few hours lol

Never tried that

It's not family friendly to say you pee in your new tank?(nutty)(laugh) When we set up the 14 gallon nano we used clownfish. We had a bunch of live rock and did frequent water changes and the fish and frags all did well.

Thanks all. I didn't realize you could cycle with just live rock and sand. The tank came w/ both, and was cycled yesterday when it was taken down. I assumed it would recycle since we took everything out and started new w/ fresh water. It's been filling since yesterday afternoon, almost there. Woo-hoo!! I think I'll pass on peeing in it, and toss in some of my frozen fish food instead. :D

I'm really glad this tank came w/ the sand and rock. Our last 75 sat in our living room empty for months and months. This way it kind of lit the fire under our a$$ to get the tank going. Now I'm on the hunt for new lights. (naughty)