Anyone have some frag disks they want to sell or trade?

Randy-S

you can make those disks and plugs REALLY easily with a bucket filled with sand, frag mix, and something to make depressions in the sand with...baby bottle nipples work for the plugs, and I imagine you can make disk impressions with almost anything with the desired diameter.

you can make those disks and plugs REALLY easily with a bucket filled with sand' date=' frag mix, and something to make depressions in the sand with...baby bottle nipples work for the plugs, and I imagine you can make disk impressions with almost anything with the desired diameter.[/quote']

Try Garf's recipe, tons of articles under their "how to".

Oldbrownies adds rocksalt to his mix/recipe to make it porous and love the idea of curing in the toilet tank. Makes too much sense to save cents. I've got a rock with frags from him and I'm not sure if its real rock or homemade...seriously!

http://garf.org/news11p3.html#rocks

Sorry' date=' I'm just not a fan of having something that looks like I dropped poker chips into my tank.[/quote']

Maybe I'm on to something here. Without price shopping, found they are available under .12/ea. and come in a nice aluminum carrying case with extras and FREE shipping to boot.

http://www.nevadajacks.net/comersus/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=16

Seriously though, I won't buy a frag on a plate that looks so unnatural without taking years to cover up with growth, even then, it may never. I've never seen anything like it snorkeling before either.

I've seen tanks with big fat plugs glued all over their live rock and that's what I notice, plugs. I don't understand why the industry pushes this.... isn't this why we don't put sunken battleships in the bottom of our reef tanks? Oh yeah, nowadays that is what you may find at the bottom of a reef, bad analogy.

It's like a fully landscaped yard with all the plants left above ground in the ugly black containers they were shipped in.

I would think it would take less time to just make them like drop cookies than to make a sand mold and have to fill each one perfectly. If anything, push a rock in the sand over and over and fill with cement mix. At least that would look more natural than a wafer I get at church on Sundays....

I guess I'm just trying to replicate a piece of nature in my livingroom, not modernize it.

OK, soapbox open for someone else to jump on.

Maybe I'm on to something here. Without price shopping, found they are available under .12/ea. and come in a nice aluminum carrying case with extras and FREE shipping to boot.

http://www.nevadajacks.net/comersus/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=16

Seriously though, I won't buy a frag on a plate that looks so unnatural without taking years to cover up with growth, even then, it may never. I've never seen anything like it snorkeling before either.

I've seen tanks with big fat plugs glued all over their live rock and that's what I notice, plugs. I don't understand why the industry pushes this.... isn't this why we don't put sunken battleships in the bottom of our reef tanks? Oh yeah, nowadays that is what you may find at the bottom of a reef, bad analogy.

It's like a fully landscaped yard with all the plants left above ground in the ugly black containers they were shipped in.

I would think it would take less time to just make them like drop cookies than to make a sand mold and have to fill each one perfectly. If anything, push a rock in the sand over and over and fill with cement mix. At least that would look more natural than a wafer I get at church on Sundays....

I guess I'm just trying to replicate a piece of nature in my livingroom, not modernize it.

OK, soapbox open for someone else to jump on.

the reason the industry pushes it, i would think, is because its almost standard to use eggcrate for shelves. and the plugs fit right into the holes in the eggcrate. both are cheap and easy to obtain.

I like the frag discs/plugs. Its usually much easier to place them since they are flat. Its also much easier to remove if need be. It gives the coral plenty of room to encrust without worrying about it encroaching on other corals. And they are easy to break if you want to frag. JMO here of course. I've used rock rubble too, but the discs are better.