Stars and stripe puffer question.

gradth

So I picked up stars and stripes puffer last week for my fowlr tank. Im wondering if anyone has had any experience with these fish or not. Mine doesnt seem to be doing great. Some days he seems ok, then he goes and hides in a rock and will sit there for hours looking very sickly. He has a hard time chasing food around so I spot feed him cubed mysis and he picks at it a little bit. I dont see any signs of ich or anything, but his eyes seem a bit glazed over.

I dont know if this is normal or not normal for puffers. Should I feed something else?

puffers are usually pretty hardy fish. i've had 3 in the past and all died by my accidental doing and not fault of their own. i spot fed mysis. i throw in small hermits for them to chew on because they need to wear their teeth down on something hard. they also like snails if they can get them. The saddle toby kind of puffers are usually very timid / curious. they will hide and sleep on rocks sideways, upside down and stick to them like magnets, its funny to watch. if its eyes are hazed over it could be a bacterial infection or parasite. i have had good luck with API's melafix. it helps stimulate their slime coat as well.

Ill see im I cant locate some Melafix. In the meantime I just got back from the store with a bag o clams and some fresh shrimp. See if that will make him happy.

If your just going to dose once or twice your welcome to come over and grab the bottle from my house. I've used it once so far and it worked well.

Thanks for the offer. I just ordered some though, should be here in a couple days. I ordered the marine stuff thinking that would be better.

I went to winco today and they had a 2 pound bag of venus clams for like 3 bucks, so i got clams and shrimp and made a meaty fish food in the magic bullet. I fed the puffer a hole clam and he devoured it. So at least hes eating well.

Thanks for the offer. I just ordered some though, should be here in a couple days. I ordered the marine stuff thinking that would be better.

I went to winco today and they had a 2 pound bag of venus clams for like 3 bucks, so i got clams and shrimp and made a meaty fish food in the magic bullet. I fed the puffer a hole clam and he devoured it. So at least hes eating well.

No problem. I got the marine stuff as well. Not sure what the difference was but oh well.