Killer Emeralds!!!

jgf86123

(threaten) I'm really hating on emerald crabs right now. Earlier in the week, found one eating one of our new scooter blennies, funny thing is, fish was fine about an hour before we found the crab eating it, so we're almost positive said crab killed said fish :(. Then tonight, caught our other emerald trying to get at the clowns, so now both emeralds are in the sump. I love the job they do on algae, but could the fact that they were so large, each one at the LEAST an inch across, not counting the legs, I mean, these guys were the 2 biggest emeralds I've ever seen. If so, would I be safer getting much smaller emeralds, or should I look into something else?

Thanks

(threaten) I'm really hating on emerald crabs right now. Earlier in the week, found one eating one of our new scooter blennies, funny thing is, fish was fine about an hour before we found the crab eating it, so we're almost positive said crab killed said fish :(. Then tonight, caught our other emerald trying to get at the clowns, so now both emeralds are in the sump. I love the job they do on algae, but could the fact that they were so large, each one at the LEAST an inch across, not counting the legs, I mean, these guys were the 2 biggest emeralds I've ever seen. If so, would I be safer getting much smaller emeralds, or should I look into something else?

Thanks

Smaller Emeralds won't do that but you do know Mick the smaller ones grow into bigger ones Mick!(laugh)

I heard many a tale of how they go rogue the bigger they get. We have one that is pretty big in our reef tank and so far he has not done anything to bad. Just will sometimes pull frags under the rocks!

LOL Yeah' date=' I know, but I love the cleaning job the lil buggers do, I just don't want to lose anymore fish LOL Already lost the male part of a male/female scooter blennie pair, which is really sad :([/quote']

Have not had a problem with the smaller ones and they do an awesome job on algae. Would put them in the aggressive tank but think they would be expensive fish food.

I have around 7 red and green large and small emerald crabs 3 lightfoots, 100 various hermits. I don't have problems. Ocasionally my frags get knocked over but they only want the algae on the plugs. I spot feed my crabs nori and they love it. My impression is that fish die. Crab eats dead fish then gets blamed. Crabs are naturally defensive so they will swipe at things swimming by. I've never experienced emerald crabs hunting down fish to kill them.