Media reactor question

Tat2d

I have a couple of media reactors I was planning on putting on my 55 gal. After a lot of head scratching I have realized I don't really have room for both. would it be a problem if I ran both carbon and GFO in the same unit with a couple of sponges between the two?

Thanks,

B

There are a number of people using the two together. The GFO works best if it is just "dancing" on the top. Carbon works better under more pressure. If you throttle it down and use the GFO "gently dancing" as your maximum pressure for both you should have no problem, Bobby. Did you get rid of your Cyano?

I run a BRS reactor with both, GFO on the bottom (first) about a cup then a 1/2"+ space, pad then a couple cups of carbon. when it starts up and settles adjust the flow until you can see the GFO bouncing up, this only last about 3+ weeks and you will need to check and increase pressure. Once the flow slows way down its time to change it out

Another thing to consider is the tanks bio load and the amount of organics your trying to remove. Carbon and GFO do similar things but remove different types of things. I have a tank that doesn't need the GFO changed in 3-4 months at a time and another one that i have to change it nearly every other week. so why waste it because one has to be changed out. they won't go bad at the same time. Your carbon will most likely saturate first, especially if your using low grade. IMO i think its not worth running them in the same reactor, carbon requires a different type of flow and action than GFO so trying to get a happy medium between the two is not always an easy task or you sacrifice one over the others performance. If it were me, i would run the GFO in the reactor and a bag of carbon in the sump or sock.

Good luck

Another thing to consider is the tanks bio load and the amount of organics your trying to remove. Carbon and GFO do similar things but remove different types of things. I have a tank that doesn't need the GFO changed in 3-4 months at a time and another one that i have to change it nearly every other week. so why waste it because one has to be changed out. they won't go bad at the same time. Your carbon will most likely saturate first, especially if your using low grade. IMO i think its not worth running them in the same reactor, carbon requires a different type of flow and action than GFO so trying to get a happy medium between the two is not always an easy task or you sacrifice one over the others performance. If it were me, i would run the GFO in the reactor and a bag of carbon in the sump or sock.

Good luck

I would do this also

There are a number of people using the two together. The GFO works best if it is just "dancing" on the top. Carbon works better under more pressure. If you throttle it down and use the GFO "gently dancing" as your maximum pressure for both you should have no problem' date=' Bobby. Did you get rid of your Cyano?[/quote']

It was not only cyano, but dinoflagellites as wellDOH!

I sucked out as much as I could during weekly water changes, cut back on feeding, ended up cutting the halides back to 2 hours on twice per day (Actinics on for 10, as they didn't seem to be feeding the problems). It's been gone for a week or two now, and I'm slowly bringing the halide light cycle back up.

I appreciate all the input on the original question, thanks everyone!

I tested water perameters yesterday, and everything is looking great. So I think I may just run the carbon for now in one, and run both after I get a cabinet to hold the top-off reservoir and both reactors built.

It may be awhile before that happens, as I still can't use my right arm for anything (flame) Doc said it could be healed in a few weeks, or if it doesn't get better in 6 months they will do surgery.

B