Fish Food Question

racefan

I'm going to make a batch of food. I went to a local fish market in Longview & tried to buy small amounts of fish. My first mistake was telling the gentleman that spoke very little English that I was going to make food for my fish & could I buy very small amounts. He was convinced that I wanted bait & would only sell me a $20.00 box of whole frozen shrimp.All people use for fish he said.

I gave up & found a bag in his freezer that said "Seafood Mix" It was $1.98 for a 14 oz bag. On the Ingredients label it lists "Wild caught:Cooked Mussel meat,Squid,Shrimp,Surimi(sea bream,starch,egg Albumin,Natural Flavoring,Sugar,Salt,Natural Speieces,Carmine,Paprika)

What I'm wondering is, if I soak it in water do you think the spices will come out of it?

DSCF0122.jpg

Re: Fish Food Question

I wouldn't do it....seriously...I make my own food and typically have bad experiences with anything cooked or seasoned. Just go back and select small amounts from the fresh stuff, nothing cooked, and pick up a jar of oysters....drain ALL of the water from the jar before you add it to your mix....esimated cost is between $15 and $20 for 6 months to a years worth...

JMO.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Round 2

I went to Winco this am & got fresh clams,oysters,crab,shrimp & silversides that I already had. I also added a couple sheets of Nori some Seachem Zoe(vitamins) Garlic & a couple drops of oyster feast. After I mixed it up & put it bags I let the fish lick the spoon if you will(saved a tad & gave the fish a sample of food to come) They went nuts! I got 3 zip lock backs for about $15.00 or $20.00 worth of fresh sea food. The best part is I missed my guess on the oysters so I guess I will have to pop them on the barbie when I throw the salmon on tonight(clap)

They were fresh shucked no juices. I did rinse them however to make sure I had all the shell pieces off. Just curious' date='why is so important to drain all the juices?[/quote']

I had some SERIOUS issues when I didn't thoroughly clean the oysters. It almost seemed to add Nitrates when I fed. Almost like I was dosing Nitrates. On top of phosphate issues, PH drop....and I think that's it.(scratch)

I had some SERIOUS issues when I didn't thoroughly clean the oysters. It almost seemed to add Nitrates when I fed. Almost like I was dosing Nitrates. On top of phosphate issues' date=' PH drop....and I think that's it.(scratch)[/quote']

WOW!(scary)