Anyone here know anything about boats?

Rick

I'm looking at doing a bit of swapping for this boat and am trying to get a good idea of what it's actually worth. While I can find other boats made by the same manufacturer in this year I can't locate any that are the same model to really judge the value accurately. FWIW, all of the flooring and transom are solid. (The deck normally has a cover over it)

post-5811-141867782976_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867782979_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867782982_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867782985_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867783011_thumb.jpg

Biggest thing to find out is if it runs' date=' as long as it runs, well, everything else can be negotiated, but it's gotta run before you even consider negotiating :P[/quote']

I'm going over to check the steering, motor and outdrive tomorrow. Currently I'm assuming it runs good so I'm trying to get a ballpark estimate of the value under those conditions. I know I can't get a really accurate value without a true survey being done but I'm not really trying to pin it down that close anyway. Just trying to get within a couple thousand. I.E. Is it worth 6K to 8K? 8K to 10K? More? Less? The trade is already proposed. I'm just trying to decide whether it's worth it at this point.

why not use the nada boat appraisal guide?

I've looked at it but without the exact model I am still guessing (I can't find a cross reference for the model ID anywhere). It also is all over the board and says straight out that the value can vary greatly if the condition is better than average. (They give a low and average value only)

Looks to be an old FiberForm boat??

Yes, 1976 model. I believe the title says it's a 25'. As I understand it they were a pretty decent boat before Bayliner bought them out. Not top of the line but somewhere mid range. Comparing it to the newer boats in the same general price range I haven't found one yet that is in as good of condition as this older one is though.

Rick,

I can't give a ball park figure but it is a must for you to examine the outdrive, engine and associated mechanical components, condition of the hull (gelcoat), wiring,, and superstructure (cabin). Mold is okay that can be washed off. Rot is not. Any fiberglass that is squishy to the touch is bad. That requires cropping out the fiberglass and replacing. If the gelcoat has cracks make sure the hull is not waterlogged.

Make them run the engine and check all electronics onboard. Then make them to put it in the water and drive it around. Sitting on a trailor is one thing sitting in the water is something else. Make sure the boat isn't taking on water from anywhere and that it sits in the water properly. No listing port or starboard. You'll know if the engine is good once you put a load on it. This is an inboard so it should have some type of mechanical or natural venting system to vent the gas fumes from the engine compartment prior to starting. Make sure that works so you don't blow up. I am not kidding. And remember you can't just run down to Autozone and pick up parts for whatever engine is sitting in that thing. They have to be a marine part and that of course makes them more expensive.

IMHO Rick used boats are money pits. I have been driving boats , inspecting boats and investigating boating accidents for 21 years and if you think the aquarium hobby is expensive a used boat is worse. Repairs to these things can get astronomical.

Best of luck.

Shane

Thanks for the tips Shane. I've checked most of the stuff in the first paragraph already.

I'm going to be looking at the outdrive, engine, etc. closer today.

The hull I checked over closely and it's solid. The worst I could find is one fitting on top that is letting enough water seep through that it has a small rust streak in the interior which is an easy fix. I plan to replace all of the railing with SS stuff anyway if I get it. (I already have the bender and most of the SS to do it) No mold or Rot that I can find. No cracks in the gelcoat and it's dry inside.

I'll make sure the vent blower is working when I check the rest of the mechanical and electrical.

Rick,

IMHO Rick used boats are money pits. I have been driving boats , inspecting boats and investigating boating accidents for 21 years and if you think the aquarium hobby is expensive a used boat is worse. Repairs to these things can get astronomical.

Best of luck.

Shane

A boat is a hole in the ocean you throw money into.

Remember' date=' there a 2 GREAT days in a boat owners life....the day you bought it and the day you sold it! [/quote']

LMAO!

Here is a boat to compare although it is only 21 it is still a comparison considering what APPEARS to be excellent condition. I was thinking about looking at it. Then I sobered up.:eek:

http://eugene.craigslist.org/boa/1828135938.html

I worked on altering boats (fiberglass) and exchanged some of my work for sailing.

Boats are great. I want to get a ride out to the Columbia mouth on a CG boat and talk them into turning around and taking off on one! Listening Shane? I would pay serious $ to ride on a CG boat through some good sized waves.

http://eugene.craigslist.org/boa/1828135938.html

You MUST WATER RUN IT!!!!! No exceptions!!!! NON You have to FEEL the boat. How she runs, sounds handles. Check all EQUIPMENT, GAIGES, DF. RADIOS HEATER WATER EXCHANGER BILGE PUMP, BLOWER (because it turns on doesn't mean it pumps) TRIM TAPS WATER LINES, both fresh and salt, Good hunting!!

I haven't read the additional posts, but be sure to check the engines and tanks if it is gas. These older boats are getting destroyed from the ethanol in the gas.

My dad is going through a major nightmare at the moment with his 37 Egg Harbor (1976). Tanks need to be replaced and the sludge from the tanks getting caught up in the heads is unreal.

Kevin

I want to get a ride out to the Columbia mouth on a CG boat and talk them into turning around and taking off on one! Listening Shane? I would pay serious $ to ride on a CG boat through some good sized waves.

(laugh)(laugh)

Ahh Franklin I wish I could make your dream come true but we have rules about that type of stuff. We usually don't do joy rides unless it is for make-a-wish or some sort of charity organization. Now you could go out in the Pacific and get yourself in trouble and we would come get you and give you a ride but we would just tow you in or if you sank your boat give you a ticket for polluting. :D

I used to do the big seas stuff when I was younger and let me tell you it is a young man/womans job that one. Oh and sea sickness is for the birds. Navigating a boat through crappy seas with a trash can between your knees SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

Hmm... I just went back and noticed one of the pics I posted was from the wrong boat. It was from a 31' Celebrity that had fallen off a trailer that needed the hull torn apart and repaired plus one of the outdrives had been knocked off. Inside much of of it was broken from the impact including the dining table. The price was probably right for someone that had the funds to repair it but that is more than I was willing to get into.

FWIW, I know all about money pits. One of the reasons I'm concidering this swap is to get rid of one of the ones I already have. I seriously doubt this could ever match it when it comes to throwing money away.