Bubble algae

kendaroo

We picked up some live rock over the weekend that we're going to use in our 90G. For now, it's sitting in a large Rubbermaid in the basement with a powerhead for circulation.

The rock has a bunch of macro algae growing on it...and some bubble algae. When I got it home, I spent some time picking off as much as I could before I stuck it in the storage tank. I'm wondering what's the best way to get rid of the rest of it before we try to put it in the tank.

The tub doesn't have a light, so my first thought is that it might all starve from lack of light if I leave it in there long enough. Not sure how long that would be. I also thought of adding some snails and emerald crabs to the tub. Since the tank isn't plumbed yet, we have some time. However, I'm anxious to get going, of course!

Advice?

Thanks!

Gillian

An emerald crab or four MAY help in the tub, but make sure they do not get transferred to the main tank when you set it up. They can hide in holes and cracks. If they get loose in the main tank, sometimes they go rogue and start to eat stuff that you want.

dsoz

i love my emeralds. i have several in each tank. They are great for cleanup of nuisance algae, but not that great at bubble algae, i would do the best to kill it off before introducing it to the new tank. you can try soaking the rocks in algaefix, the problem is that even in the dark i'm sure the spores stay dormant. your best bet is to kill the rock itself like noob said and either cook it or dry it out, but then you lose the beneficial bacteria. I have a few in my tank, they don't grow that fast, i just pluck them out when i see them, maybe once every couple months i get a few.

An emerald crab or four MAY help in the tub, but make sure they do not get transferred to the main tank when you set it up. They can hide in holes and cracks. If they get loose in the main tank, sometimes they go rogue and start to eat stuff that you want.

dsoz

You can say that again. I had a nasty one take a chunk out of clown that was swimming by. It literally perched itself up on a rock waiting for fish to swim by and when they did it snapped at them.