WTB: overflow box

kendaroo

Did you guys finally get a tank? If you did I would recommend getting it drilled. I would have had my glass tank drilled now if I could do it all over again. It is more convenient because you don't have to take it off to drill. It's safer because it can get plugged with hair algae and overfilled like ours did but Beth happened to be in the tank at the time and it looks nicer.

You keeping track of how many times I have not answered your original question and given you unsolicited advice?(laugh)

Oh, but here's an idea- the overflow box it came with has a 300 GPH max flow rate, and I assume we'd want more than that (hence the question). Would it be safer to add a second small return, rather than replace it with a single big one? Less chance of both getting blocked? Though, I guess the tank would just take longer to overflow that way, right?

How often do these overflow-related overflows happen, anyway? Maybe I should stick to nanos. (scary) I rather like my wood floors...

Gillian

Oh, but here's an idea- the overflow box it came with has a 300 GPH max flow rate, and I assume we'd want more than that (hence the question). Would it be safer to add a second small return, rather than replace it with a single big one? Less chance of both getting blocked? Though, I guess the tank would just take longer to overflow that way, right?

How often do these overflow-related overflows happen, anyway? Maybe I should stick to nanos. (scary) I rather like my wood floors...

Gillian

It depends on your pump compared to the flow rate of the 2 overflows.

For instance if you set up 2 300gph boxes and a pump that push, let me say, 500gph, if one gets blocked the second one is not enough to act as a fail safe.

To be safe your pump should pump less that the max flow rate of one pump.

IMO you are just adding cost and complications (plumbing) that a simple hole in the glass can solve (actually 2 holes). I think most of the stores can drill your tank. You need an internal overflow box too, if you want it to the work pretty well.

what size tank did you get?

Ask around... there are guys here on the forum that would be willing to help with the drilling process.

I wish I could. Somebody borrowed my hole saws and I'm still waiting (whistle)