Andrew's 29 Gallon Biocube

NoobtoSalt

no problem' date=' just didn't want you to throw some more fish in and then get another case of ich that killed everything again because of stress. now is your hippo's case of ich maybe coincidental? i'm beginning to think not.[/quote']

Very true. It's still odd that most of the inverts are doing fine though.

you know you could always do some water changes with LFS saltwater until you get your issues ironed out.

All the water I've been using was from a LFS just mixed the salt myself. I'm thinking that Reef Crystals is sounding pretty good right now but either way I'm going to get my tank, andrews tank, and the water mixed in the garage all tested properly to see where I'm at with all of this.

All the water I've been using was from a LFS just mixed the salt myself. I'm thinking that Reef Crystals is sounding pretty good right now but either way I'm going to get my tank' date=' andrews tank, and the water mixed in the garage all tested properly to see where I'm at with all of this.[/quote']

i said saltwater, not freshwater. yea reef crystals has been working well for me, but this has prompted me to start doing more tests on my saltwater after its made up. i'm hoping that i don't run into any problems because i mix up larger volumes of salt at a time. But you never know.

i said saltwater' date=' not freshwater. yea reef crystals has been working well for me, but this has prompted me to start doing more tests on my saltwater after its made up. i'm hoping that i don't run into any problems because i mix up larger volumes of salt at a time. But you never know.[/quote']

I see that now..(laugh)

Maybe it would even be worth me getting some of the H2Ocean for a batch or two. I think I'm going to start a new thread on it so andrew's tank thread doesn't get so bogged down on my salt issues.

Here's a new picture of Andrew's tank with his tang on the left side of the tank. His tank is pretty dirty right now and the glass shows it. We will be cleaning it up tomorrow.

IMG_1211.jpg

nice tank .. dint take this the worng way but in this pic it looks like a window is open near it.. that will create a never ending algae problem... tanks should never be near a light source like a window.. due to heat flucuations and algae blooms...

one other thing even small tangs shouldnt live in a nano....there just not gonna survive there too sensitive to water quality and parameter changes... this is just my experience and knowledge of the tang fish family...people are gonna tell you other wise but i guarentee u that u will throw 45 bucks away countless times...remember this rule when dealing with lfs too.. no matter how close you are to them.. there in the business of selling fish not keeping them alive for ever...its ahard reality i have learned dealing with several lfs locally...even the one my long time friend owned.... the will sell u anything.. i finally started researching what i was buying and realized on several occasions that i was being misinformed and sold stuff i couldnt even dream of keeping in 130

nice tank .. dint take this the worng way but in this pic it looks like a window is open near it.. that will create a never ending algae problem... tanks should never be near a light source like a window.. due to heat flucuations and algae blooms...

The window is only open a few hours in the day and I have less algae in this tank than my main tank. Not sure why that is??? Oh well.

one other thing even small tangs shouldnt live in a nano....there just not gonna survive there too sensitive to water quality and parameter changes... this is just my experience and knowledge of the tang fish family...people are gonna tell you other wise but i guarentee u that u will throw 45 bucks away countless times...remember this rule when dealing with lfs too.. no matter how close you are to them.. there in the business of selling fish not keeping them alive for ever...its ahard reality i have learned dealing with several lfs locally...even the one my long time friend owned.... the will sell u anything.. i finally started researching what i was buying and realized on several occasions that i was being misinformed and sold stuff i couldnt even dream of keeping in 130

I realize that tangs are not the best in nanos but I was planing on moving it to my large tank when it outgrew this tank. I didn't spend much on it $15 for the tang and one of the two that I bought that died the shop took care of me on. I see your from Olympia so not sure how shops are up there but most in town here take care of customers. Makes it nice to spend more money of course...(laugh)

Welcome to the boards btw!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I bought a purple psuedocromis for this tank and it was doing great for the week it was there. Yesterday at the meeting I got two clowns for the tank and they love it already. Problem was that the psudeocromis was attacking the clowns for at least a couple of hours last night. I went ahead and caught it and put it in my tank for now but dumb me I should have put him in my sump so it's easier to catch again.

Clowns are already hosting the frogspawn in the tank. Thanks again Dave!

Pics to come!

Alright here's some updated pics from this morning.

Hairy Mushrooms thanks to Topher! My kids love them. The large one is opening up pretty big this morning. It's on the sandbed for now. Not sure where were going to put it. The two smaller ones I placed on the left side of the tank in the rock work. Thanks again. Was good to visit with you and Haywood.

2010-09-20105134.jpg

The happy new pair.

2010-09-20105119.jpg

Look at the size of that mushroom already!!

2010-09-20105105.jpg

Even though it's my son's tank Topher hooked my daughter up with a mushroom as well.

2010-09-20105041.jpg

FTS

2010-09-20105001.jpg

Those purple psuedo's can be real terrors sometimes' date=' especially in a small tank, very territorial.[/quote']

I second that, Especially with any kind of shrimp, we had one and did some research on weither they would be ok with various shrimp and many people said to be cautious, and we saw a Blood shrimp at one of the shops and asked what they thought "oh sure they will be fine"DOH!(nono)....It wasn't and kept getting more and more agressive and attacking the shrimp....

They are pretty cool and intelligent fish, and pretty....but careful what you put in with it...thats just my opinion...

I second that, Especially with any kind of shrimp, we had one and did some research on weither they would be ok with various shrimp and many people said to be cautious, and we saw a Blood shrimp at one of the shops and asked what they thought "oh sure they will be fine"DOH!(nono)....It wasn't and kept getting more and more agressive and attacking the shrimp....

They are pretty cool and intelligent fish, and pretty....but careful what you put in with it...thats just my opinion...

Within a few mins of me putting it in my main tank it was being picked on by the bi-color anthias.. I guess it got what it desereved.. I haven't seen it out at all today so who knows what will come of it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...