Seeking feedback on Harliquin Shrimp

CA2OR

So after my recent experience with an astrina star I am seriously considering a Harliquin Shrimp to eradicate them....but I have some questions....

1. How big are they?

2. Has there been any experience with them munching on corals or attacking shrimp?

3. I have 3 other stars that I don't want to lose....I will move them into the sump to avoid them getting munched on but what about my cucumbers, hermits, and snails?

4. Is there any guarantee that it will eat the astrina's?

5. Are there any other benefits to having one? Do they clean fish or eat algae or something?

6. How hard are Harliquin's to catch? Yes, catch....I am not going to keep it after the Astrina's are gone....would like to either rent em out or sell him....otherwise he will be bannished to the sump until his services are required again....This is probably the most important question here.

7. Is there something else I could get that would do the same job like a fish or something? Maybe something that won't require me to remove my starfish.

8. Are they worth the money?

9. How much are they?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance....

Sent from my brain using telepathy

I got one for the same reason. They ONLY eat star fish. I had a really bad break out and it took a few weeks to clear them out. My stars went to the sump as well. Won't bother fish, corals, cucumbers, shrip.... star fish of any kind ore dinner.

Best $30 I've spent to sovle an issue the 1st. time.

Beckie

1. Biggest one I've ever seen was not quite as large as a racquetball.

2. The only thing they will touch is starfish.

3. Wont mess with anything else.

4. If there is no other starfish in the tank it will go for the asterinas

5. No other benefit besides they are super cool, and will reproduce in pairs thus feeding your fish on occasion like any other shrimp. Make sure your wrasses don't mess with them too much.

6. Pretty easy to catch. Mine used to come right up to the front where I would feed him the pieces of Chocolate chip star.

7. I haven't found anything that will do as thorough a job on asterinas as a pair of harelquins.

8. Yes they are worth it. Very cool to observe and well worth it if your getting them to serve a purpose in the tank. I've known to many people that didn't want to buy starfish for them after a certain point and let them starve more or less.

9. The last one I got was a hand me down from a forum member, but I've found them in pairs for as low as $40.

Let me know when and where u get yours, I've been thinking of getting one again since I started seeing a few asterinas in the tank.

You dont have any pistol shrimp in your tank do you? Thats the one thing that started harassing my harlequin.

They are awesome shrimp to own. If you still want it after you have eradicated your problem just hack a leg off of a choc chip star for food. They are mellow and have some cool behaviors. I had a pair of them in my school nano. A favorite and kind of quirky. Will not mess with anything else in the tank.

• 1 month later...

Got one myself and he climbs on my hand when I'm working in the tank. I do have a brittle star in the tank(mainly because I could catch the little booger). But things have been good so far. The brittle just stays high in the tank when the shrimp is hunting and stays within the rocks during the day. My brittle is not tiny by any means( soccer ball sizes when fully laid out). Dont know if that is making a difference with the shrimp not tracking him down. But I have seen them sitting side by side and the shrimp doesnt even try to bother the starfish. But I also get the wierd pairings in my tanks.

Re: Seeking feedback on Harliquin Shrimp

I would be totally stoked if I could keep my serpant in the tank with Harli, but I imagine when your astrinas are running low your brittle might be in trouble.....remember the only thing that guy eats is starfish.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

When the other stars are running low the shrimp goes in another tank

This is exactly why I picked up that 14g....

No they feed when ever.....I feed mine during the day, see it hunt at night. I think it is all about it's comfort level.