SWC skimmers

Beckie

What is going on with SWC 160 cone skimmers?

After looking and reseaching I decided it would be the best fit. After looking, asking around they are harder to come by than the hottest new kids toy at Christmas time.

After christmas they become availabile the price goes down. Not these bad boys. They are still unavailable and the price is climbing.

Can they really be THAT awsome? Did SWC re invent the standard?

I gotta know if its worth the wait.

Beckie

I love my 160! Very quiet and produces very nice nog even when there were no bioload. Now I've added a few more fish and it's skimming better than ever.

Just make sure you have a stable water level in your sump. If you turn off your return pump, you better make sure your skimmer goes off first. It's best in a baffled section. Also, 8-10" is best.

I do have a baffles section in my sump. It is pretty small thats what makes this skimmer ideal. From what I've read the reviews make it sound like it can get the job done nicely with very small foot print.

Vans, sounds like your happy? I have a 150 with a fairly small bio load.

Beckie

Yah i like the skimmer. I had some problems with salt caking up in the venturi so now i just clean that part each week when i clean the cup. The skimmer is dead silent and easy to adjust. Also really simple to take apart and clean, everything comes apart its great.

I think it skims about as well as my octopus skimmer after i modded it. But its half the size and uses a fraction of the wattage my octo pump used.

I ordered mine the week before they were released, so i must have gotten a speacial. It was $250 shipped :D

I had some problems with salt caking up in the venturi so now i just clean that part each week when i clean the cup.

Hmm...never ran into that yet. Bubbles were always consistent, so I've never bothered to check. I'll look into that and see if salt is creeping up there.