WTB: black sand

grassi

I just need a few pounds. It is for a 12x8 area.

I know where you can get some...

http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/

They have this sand called "Tahitian Moon"...it is REALLY nice sand..and I think they do sell it by the pound there..its black black...

I used it for our 40g, but made the mistake of buying the sand in a bag stuff (The "Live Sand"), which is not black/black...and mixed it with the Tahitian Moon Sand and it now doesn't look as good, I wish I would have just had the Tahitian Moon Black Sand...it would have looked REALLY nice...

• Like 1

I know, I know nobody likes them so don't jump on me. The PETCO and I am pretty sure PETSMART by my house sells the Caribe Sea black sand. Though I can't remember if it is indo pacific or Hawaiin.

Shane

I too must confess! I have shopped at Petco and Petsmart :eek: and have even looked at their fish (scary) I didn't buy them but I did look! Hello my name is Kim and I have shopped at Petco!:p

Alex, I haven't researched this, but the first thing that comes to mind is that black attracts sunlight...

baseball and football(not futbol for the euros :) ) players have used black stripes under their eyes for years and years. The purpose is that the black is supposed to absorb the strongest part of the suns rays, detracting them from their eyes.

I would imagine that black sand would attract most of the light in a reef tank...detracting from the light the corals will receive.

Maybe I'm crazy. Can anyone else comment?

It make sense to me. White does reflect more than black.

But I think that with strong lights that effect is not relevant. Also the light source is perpendicular to the surface and the reflection of the light due to an angle is minor.

Different think is the heat issue. I've been in several Volcanic sand beaches, in Tenerife Spain and Lipari in Italy and the sand was burning my feet.

For sure the buffering potential of the black is lower than the aragonite, but I can fix that with frequent water changes

Have you seen Nnewhouse's foam walls? Blacksand and a black sand formed wall structure against that black back would be cool. Mabey foam formed black sand bottom using some tonga ? Form it up and over the sump area to hide it and create a style like the " volcano tank" with some wet/dry crabs?