I'm looking for a power strip/surge protector

Nate

I'm having a hard time finding what I want. I want a power strip with individual switches and at least one timer preferably two timers. I can only seem to find one or the other. Oh yeah I dont want to spend much. Please help I'm going (nutty)

Hey Nate, I couldn't find what I wanted so I built my own. I have four 4-plex outlets each controlled by their own switches. This allows me to have all of my pumps (skimmer, return, chiller, calc reactor) controlled by one switch, another switch controls all my powerheads, another switch for lights etc. It was fairly inexpensive and easy to build and works well for my needs.

That would definitely be a special order piece. I know you can get the switching dock bars from guitar center, but not with timers, you would have to run separate timer units on them, which wouldn't save you a ton of money. They also dont handle a ton of amps either so i wouldn't get one and go running all your pumps, lighting etc on one dockbar. I went with a programmable reefkeeper unit which automates everything and lets you turn ports on and off from the interface. still pricey though at a few hundred.

IME the power strip timer combos blow...better to get timers and a power strip...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I agree, they are cheaply made and if the unit fails then you have to replace the whole thing instead of just one timer, etc.

I like the digital timers with the battery backups, rated at 15amp and dual outlets, but they run about $25 each.

By the time you add it all up, its almost worth just buying a nice apex or reef keeper unit to control everything. I like mine because i can setup logic to shut down lights, heaters, chillers, etc if something goes wrong.