WTB: Tongan Nassarius Snails

NoobtoSalt

So based off of my questions being answered from another post I think I'd like to get some more of these guys.

I currently have at least one maybe two of the larger ones in my tank and they do seem to do a good job of cleaning the sandbed.

I'm looking for a shop that carries these locally. I know I can get them online but I'd rather not. It looks like $3 is the regular price going online and I don't have an issue paying it just want to get them locally. I'd even drive to salem if I could get them....(whistle)

PM me, post, it really doesn't matter. I have Friday and Saturday off this week and I'd like to get them.

From what I can find, chestnut snails are a form of turbos, not nassarius. You want the tonga nassarius.

Chestnuts:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+526+2723&pcatid=2723

Tonga Nassarius:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+526+1763&pcatid=1763

(not trying to sell you on Drs F&S - just examples of both)

yea i saw the tonga nassarius at SWF in the upper right invert tank on tues.

They have the tongas but I was talking to them about how big my current snail is and it doesn't seem to fit the description. I tried to find it this morning but I think it's hanging out in the sand in some of my caves. From the picture that I posted a little bit ago it looks similar to the butterscotch nassarius snail. I have 5 of the tongas already in the tank but they don't seem to be doing the job. I'm going to be heading down to SWF today for some water possibly anyways so I might pick up some more snails and maybe a sand sifting star.

why not just get some regular nassarius as well?

also the bumble bee's are a nassarius snail too.

I wouldn't get a star until your sand bed is about a year old.

I don't have any bumble bee's right now that's not a bad idea. I plan on getting about 10 more tonga's today and when I get back I may even attempt to get another goby.

Since I have a heavy stocked tank with fish I just didn't want to come back and do a water change as soon as I walk in the door.

how many fish do you have and what size of tank?

usually you don't want much over 1" of fish per 5 gallons.

do you have a good skimmer? That can help alot.

I'm way over the 1" per 5 gallons. Tank is 75 gallon.

Skimmer seems to work pretty good. I need to work on making a sump for my tank. One of these days I will have some of you guys over here to help me out with that..(whistle)

yes that would definitely help alot. adding a sump, sock and good internal skimmer does wonders for your water quality. adding a refugium will also help stabilize your system. You can also turn on a sump light at night to help reduce your ph swings which is good for tanks with fish that are sensitive to ph changes. can you say ich. If you need a cheap sump, let me know, i have several sitting around.

Just as an example, i have a 55 gallon refugium that i had attached to my 72 bowfront. I decided to take it off the 72 and move it to the 120. the tangs in the 72 had ich 2 days later. i'm equating it to the change in water volume and the lack of a lighted refugium at night possibly let the ph drop lower at night than they were used to.

yes that would definitely help alot. adding a sump' date=' sock and good internal skimmer does wonders for your water quality. adding a refugium will also help stabilize your system. You can also turn on a sump light at night to help reduce your ph swings which is good for tanks with fish that are sensitive to ph changes. can you say ich. If you need a cheap sump, let me know, i have several sitting around.[/quote']

When I get back into town I will have to see about doing a sump before I add anything else to the tank. I'm running out of room in my stand for supplies and stuff anyways so I could do a sump below but I was hoping I could use the built in chambers in the tank for a sump. It's a TruVu 75T.

So even though you suggested against the sand sifting star I decided to go ahead and get one. It was inexpensive and I think my sandbed has been around long enough that it should be ok. If SWF has a sale on snails this weekend I'm going to stop in again tomorrow. I kind of hinted to patrick that he needed to run a sale....