Yellow tang erratic and crazy?

newfisher

I have a small yellow tang that I have been watching all night and its freaking out! Its white bones on his tail are fully extended, he is backing into the glass( clean, no paint or algea) no reflection and is beating his tail against it like its another fish. His fins are fully flared and he is doing what I call the "vertical pre death swim" between backing into the glass and swimming tight circles. I have "essential elements" and some other chemicals,but don't feel comfortable using them. I have an empty qt tank that I could set up tonight and fill with 10g of tank water. - have checked perams and they are all good. I could do a water change and leave him in his current setting with the lights off or just chalk one up to the "fish do strange things at times" and check him in the morning. What would you do?

Sounds like typical yellow tang behavior-(nutty)

I had one that drove me so crazy it was so spastic stressing out the whole tank with its erratic behavior-I snapped one night and threw it over the balcony onto the golf course-the girlfriend, (now my wife) gave me a good smack upside the head-"how'd that feel" she said-(laugh)

Still remember that today-

I went and got the tang, put it back in the tank and traded it 2 days later. 2nd floor apt, 30 foot drop plus the 15-20 foot toss, plus being out of water a few minutes-tangs are pretty resilient-IME

I had named ours "poon" maybe that was the problem.(scratch)

Good luck with yours

How long have you had the Tang. I know that Tangs ship really bad. I would not consider taking a Tang until it has been in a dealers tank for a couple of weeks and I could see it eating.

The yellow Tangs at Petco are just a travesty.

Update: today after actinics kicked on the Tang has the same behavior. I snuck out several times last night and watched it sleeping. Its not calmly swimming about the tank as normal,just thrashing itself in the back of the tank against the glass. All other fish are normal except the look on their faces " what's wrong with that guy".