advice on Duncans

biomekanic

Hi folks!

I'm saving up to get back into the active side of the hobby instead of the reading threads and being envious side :D

There's 2 tanks I'd like to put together.

This post is about the 2nd.

I'm looking at doing a species set-up.

An all Duncan tank with a pair of Orchid Dottybacks.

Any advice on Duncan care would be appreciated, as well as sources. Almost all the Duncans I see look very similar, I'm guessing their clones from a small pool of brood stock. I'd like to have a couple different colors of Duncan in the set up, any chance of that?

Hardware wise, I'm looking at a JBJ Nano cude, going with the LED lights and supplementing the current with 1 or 2 of the new Vortech 10s.

To much light?

To much flow?

Heavy skim or lighter on the skimmming?

I was considering using JBJs new refugium LED and converting the back into a 'fuge.

Also removing the stock pump and replacing it with one of the new Tunze silence models.

Advice as always is deeply appreciated. :)

Duncans are similar to candycanes in their requirements. I think of them as candy-canes that have their tentacles out all the time...

They like to be fed. Mine will accept food several times in one day. Not something that I do often, but they do grow faster if they are fed more.

They don't need really high light, or high flow. Stock lights and pump on the aquapod were good enough to keep some alive when I had some in the TFT tank.

I have gotten different colors from different sources, but they all tend to turn the same shade of green in my tank. I even got a head of the "blue" Duncan from OIAB. After about a year I can't tell it from the green ones that I paid a lot less for. Maybe it has to do with the lights that they are under, or if my water conditions are not as good as they would like... So to answer your question, there are different colors available, but they all tend to fade to the green over time.

Also, the growth pattern is a lot different in the tank. Wild colonies tend to have long branches. In my tank, they produce so many new heads that they tend to cluster together more. Maybe if they were allowed to grow more they would branch more, but from what I have seen they would just keep producing more heads and become a larger cluster. Maybe I feed them too much... LOL

I think that after Euphyllia, that the Duncan is my next favorite coral. Followed by acans. The Duncans are just too much fun to feed. Acans mostly feed at night when the lights are off and it is hard to watch them.

dsoz

Duncans are becoming one of my favorite coral. Didn't know about fading. Any other experiences with fading over time?

I have 2 different colors of 'Duncans. Both are green but one has a soft lavender color in the center. I have had for over 8 mths. Please say it ain't so Dsoz. I like being able to see the differance.

Beckie

Re: advice on Duncans

There are several different colors of Duncans as well as sizes...I have seen mine reach 2 and even 3 inches in diameter per head with 2 to 3 inch tenticals...

I have also had different color variations as well...can assist you in locating some choices for you if you wish....

Not shocked about one of the comments above....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk