Carpet Surfin'

ReeFit

I noticed my firefish wasn't out like normal. I also noticed i forgot to put the egg crate back on last night after some maintenance, I checked in the sump, i checked in the overflow, i checked behind the stand, ohh look there he is, all dried up, and guess what theres two more fish i never found within inches of each other. DOH!

I've lost 2 diamond back gobies, 1 Golden Sleeper goby, and a firefish now to jumping out of tanks. What else have people lost, in what ways?

I continually am pulling my lettuce slugs and peppermints out of the sock.

I have had dead snails clog up my overflow back to the sump, not a good thing to wake up to with water brimming the top of the tank.(scary)

After a year,knock on wood, my leopard wrasse,diamond goby,red, purple fire fishes,LMB, midas blenny,clowns or tang have never jumped out of my canopy-less tank. How's the surface movement on your tank? I have always kept the surface moving really well and have had good luck.

lost a diamond goby' date=' midas blenny, xmas wrasse, bicolor blenny and a small percula. Might be more, but those are the ones that stand out. Most upset about the midas blenny.[/quote']

I feel your pain, nothin like watchin $100's shooting down the drain. I lost 14 fish from an ich outbreak about 2 months ago. that was a tough one to stomach. tangs died left n right.

i have a yellow tang, small blue damsel, small 6 line, small diamond goby, dragon goby, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, fire shrimp, lots of hermits, lightfoot sally and emerald crabs. everyone seems to get along well. the firefish was only 1 week in the tank so he was pretty new, but nobody chased it. The other two fish i lost awhile back was probably from the ich outbreak and the medication probably stressed it. I will never medicate my tank again like that. it did way more damage than good. i probably would of had a better survival % without medicating the tank but just feeding heavy garlic and more frequent but small water changes.

I've also had a purple psudochromis jump in the overflow column, Also a banded prawn goby and a yellow watchman. luckily they are all in a tank with a covered lid. The banded prawn goby jumped about 4 feet out of the tank and behind the 55g tank onto the floor when i went to get him out of the sump. He almost made it into the other tank but his aim was a little off. crazy little guy had a cape on, but he made it back in ok and is still alive today.

Well have lost a pepermint shrimp, black and white clown, ocerleris clown, sally lightfoot crabDOH!, a few snails and a real nice wrasse. It seems that it is going to happen in the hobby so just deal with it and fork out more dough for another fish(laugh)

I remember seeing a real nice wrasse at a lfs who decided to jumpDOH! Even they do not always have the tanks covered.

What kinda attitude does your 6-line have?

It could be chasing fish.... causing them to jump.

I have 2 6 line wrasses in two separate tanks and both have been model citizens. They pretty much do their own thing and don't bat an eye at anyone, often they will pick parasites off the other fish if the fish will let them.

We had our fire shrimp eat our 2 cleaner shrimp. Beside that knock on wood we have not lost any fish to jumping. Neither of our tanks our covered and everyone seems to stay put. Even when the lionfish is hunting no one tries to escape out the top so far.

We had our fire shrimp eat our 2 cleaner shrimp. Beside that knock on wood we have not lost any fish to jumping. Neither of our tanks our covered and everyone seems to stay put. Even when the lionfish is hunting no one tries to escape out the top so far.

It will happen eventually. My fireshrimp is very docile, he's at least 3" and is probably 3-4 years old i'm guessing. My cleaner shrimp and him all get along very well.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I'll keep it in mind, i've just never seen it act aggressive towards anything. It just darts around in the rocks and picks at them. I've seen it clean parasites off the blue damsel and the yellow tang. The gobies don't even bat an eye at it when it swims by and it comes out and eats right along side everyone else. I'm putting more on possibly water parameters and new fish stress more than anything. could be the light foot sally crab too, sometimes it can be a little aggressive.

I cant say we have never had fish jump out. Just not in our saltwater tanks. Freshwater we have to seal shut because everything tries to escape in there.(laugh)

Maybe you should try taking better care of your FW fish... then they wouldn't try to bail on you. (laugh)(laugh)

I've lost two diamond gobies and a yellow watchman goby to the carpet. Gave up on having known jumpers in that tank, but I have a yellow watchman now in my 29 which has a glass cover.

Oh, I also have a couple of Bartlett's anthias that get so excited at feeding time they will sometimes jump clear out of the tank! (nutty) Fortunately they only do it at feeding time, so I am there to scoop them back up.

I think the problem with our FW is my wife spoils them to much so they try to find her so they get more goodies. (laugh) I'm pretty sure the SW fish will be hunting her down pretty soon to. Everytime she goes to the LFS she brings back something special for all our fish.