Lighting Question?

jgf86123

Would I be able to keep all of the corals I have, ranging from BN to mushrooms to RBTA, under this light:

http://cgi.ebay.com/36-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-Marine-Cichlid-156W-4x-39W-/110534160865?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bc5971e1

Or should I go with this one instead:

http://cgi.ebay.com/17-24-Metal-Halide-T5-Nano-Reef-Light-Pendant-150W-/300428765066?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f2f3278a

Please don't lecture on the ebay fixture thing folks, I've heard it all before, and I've talked to enough people that use them that I feel quite confident in what I'm getting myself into.

And besides, you can't beat those prices with a stick LOL(threaten)

You wont find me bashing them-I have bought my last four fixtures from that seller. Make sure you sign up for Bings cash back to save an extra 8%-its free money

What is the width of your tank

I'd do this if you can;

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-Metal-Halide-Light-Aquarium-Reef-Marine-250-Watts-/300427074727?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f2d95ca7

My tank is a standard 40 breeder, 36*18*16H.

Dude, it's 80 bucks plus shipping for the T5HO fixture and 90 bucks plus shipping for the halide, the T5 does come with moonlights, which means no more flashlight in the middle of the night LOL plus I won't have to find a way to hang it, while the halide will have to be hung, but it does come with actinics an its a 150w HQI bulb.....means I can get a Pheonix 14k......

http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Metal-Halide-Lighting-Aquarium-Marine-Reef-406W-LED-/290434189929?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439f3a0a69

I know over twice the money-Email the seller and ask if he has a single 250DE MH with Moons and 2 36"T5 vs 4-36" T5- I added moon lights to my last fixture for a whopping 12.00.

He is always posting different configs.

If you are talking about on your 40b I would think the T5 setup would work good for ya, the MH one would be good to but ya prob would need 2 of them cuz one in the center would create a light pyramid unless ya raised it quite high over the tank. I would go with the T5's JMO

http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Metal-Halide-Lighting-Aquarium-Marine-Reef-406W-LED-/290434189929?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439f3a0a69

I know over twice the money-Email the seller and ask if he has a single 250DE MH with Moons and 2 36"T5 vs 4-36" T5- I added moon lights to my last fixture for a whopping 12.00.

He is always posting different configs.

I sent a message, but I asked him about a 150w halide, gotta make sure I can run it :P

If you are talking about on your 40b I would think the T5 setup would work good for ya' date=' the MH one would be good to but ya prob would need 2 of them cuz one in the center would create a light pyramid unless ya raised it quite high over the tank. I would go with the T5's JMO[/quote']

I'm seriously considering it Eddie, as long as I can keep a clam under that 4 bulb T5 fixture, I'll go with the, otherwise, I'm gonna have to do a MH setup :P

I kept a clam (up fairly high) under 4xT5 for several months. No problems for me.

same here almost-it wasa 24 gallon nano and it was a crocea clam on the sand bed, and I had 6-24 watt T5 bulbs-same seller.

I like/prefer MH after having owned and still owning both. That is one of those conversations that does not have a definitive answer-yes you "can" grow everythng under a T5 as you can with MH, IME with my two tanks I prefer the MH, but each has their own draw backs

What sized tank Bryan? I'm still gonna use that light you traded me' date=' just on my frag tank LOL I wanna try something else on the DT LOL[/quote']

It was on my 110g. The top of the clam was about 6-7" from the surface, so fairly high up. I then switched to a 6xT5 fixture, and then a 250W MH fixture (which I have now). Really no difference with the clam on any of them.

I bought the 30" version of the first one you posted a few weeks ago. Last friday I noticed one bulb was dead. I traced it to a bad ballast. It was passed the 14 days but he said send it back and he will fix it.