Broken 140g

MrScuito

I picked up a 140g glass tank today. Unfortunatly the person helping me move it droped their end and ......... #@$% . The demintions of the tank were 72"L x 18"w x 25"d. My question is would it be worth my time/$ to replace the one front/back piece of glass and the upper plastic surround or should I smash the whole thing and recycle it?

Of course there is option 3 if anybody out there has a broken tank of the same demintions that either wants to give it up or wants mine

From the description I can't tell if there is one or two pieces broken. If it's only one piece then it is probably worth repairing. If both front and back are broken then I would tear it apart and use the glass for something else.

get a hold of rick and have him repair it for you. That is probably a pretty easy fix but I wouldn't trust just anyone to do it since you are talking a lot of water volume. I think it's definitely worth fixing. And now is the time to make an external overflow too since the glass will have to be cut anyway!!!!

From the description I can't tell if there is one or two pieces broken. If it's only one piece then it is probably worth repairing. If both front and back are broken then I would tear it apart and use the glass for something else.

it was just one piece that broke and the plastic rim on top

Bummer!! Was this 1/2" glass? Must have been quite a tumble.

yeah 1/2" glass we were pulling it out the back of the van and it droped about 6" onto the door catch

Thats too bad(sad), but like jgf86123 said that would make one cool shallow tank. Cut the one good side, and the ends in half and now you have a 70 gal shallow frag tank!!!

I like that idea

So where should I look to price glass? any idea on price?

That I was That I was, shoot a message to Rick, he's got the experience, he's in Vancouver, an if there's enough left over, I'd love to be able to get a 12x12x12 cube out of it for givin ya the idea :P

how about you take the tank off my hands if it will work out for you and frag me when its up and running (I want to watch the build, it sounded like a good one) I only have $20 into gettin the tank anyway!

I wouldn't cut it myself. I know better. If it is 1/2" then the local glass shop I normally work with will not touch it. For 1/2" they order it in because it requires a special machine to cut. The good news if it is though is that 1/2" is thick enough to run rimless on that tank (at full height). I.E. It wouldn't be necessary to get the plastic edge. If it's 3/8" then I would want the extra braces between the front and back.

I don't have room for a 6' tank LOL

Nor the funds to set up a 6' tank, but, if I make it 36Lx25Wx18H I'll have a 70g rimless tank, it will be sweet, hang a pair of 150w halides over it, which I'm getting one tomorrow in fact, and I'll be golden hehe

Let me know what they say, I'll probably pick the tank up tomorrow LOL