I'm not a photographer, but what the heck

toddcarpenter

Yeah, I need to setup the tripod or something. I'm not steady enough and most come out blurry. I don't have the best lens for it either. But, after 30 pictures or so I got a couple decent ones. Now, I'll get addicted to taking pictures of the tank and not just growing corals. Where does it end 8)

I have a Nikon D200' date=' but the lens is about a 20 year old tamron macro that isn't exactly modern lol. I just don't have the 800 bucks for a modern macro to go with my camera, but after I graduate this fall, I can probably afford a good one.[/quote']

Your on the right track. Keep it up.

Some of the old Macro's are very sharp.

I have a Nikon D200' date=' but the lens is about a 20 year old tamron macro that isn't exactly modern lol. I just don't have the 800 bucks for a modern macro to go with my camera, but after I graduate this fall, I can probably afford a good one.[/quote']

If I don't put it square to the acrylic' date=' it seems I lose a lot of detail with that lens. I would like to be able to take different angles, but again I lose detail. I'll have to keep playing or move all the zoas to the front.[/quote']In some of the other photos I noticed the light killing you. It's causing a subdued reflection off the tank that makes it look hazy. Try turning all of the lights off in the room except the tank and see if that helps.

Good thought. I also don't know diddly about the fstop and all that. I just point and shoot so if it's not auto then I'm screwed. I saw a good thread about all that' date=' but I just haven't had time to get into it yet. I'm sure those make a difference too.[/quote']

It does however your better off staying in your comfort zone and then slowly adding more complex settings to improve your skill. I.E. When you get time read up and then play around with the F-stop until you are accustomed to it. Then later you can work on shutter speed, etc. Until then keep doing what your doing now. You can be proud of the pics posted in this thread and if you keep clicking the shutter you will get more of them.