Where to buy a server

grassi

I toasted my server that I was running in Italy.

It was running a VmWare workstation with a few virtual machines used for testing os/browser combinations other than running an ftp server for backup.

Nothing fancy, just a not so fast processor and 4gb of ram.

Being new of the area I have no idea about where to get an used server or even a nice loaded workstation that I can use as a server. It must be cheap.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Dell. They are your only real option if you want support and so on. If you want to use a workstation as a server then that is different. If you wanna shoot me some spec's I can get you a quote...Should be pretty cheap

• Like 1

Hey Alex, there are 3 places local that probably have anything you will need.

My favorite is Iguana Micro however they are clear over by Hillsboro Airport. A plus to going there is that if you need any cables (PC, HDMI, etc.) then they are in the same complex as PCH Cables (You will have a hard time beating their prices on cables anywhere). I prefer Iguana Micro because it is Owner Operated rather than incorporated. I.E. He will usually work harder to make you happy and gives more personal service. He always has more stock than what is posted on their website so you will want to check if you need something not posted online.

My second choice is ENU. If you don't need to run to hillsboro they have a store not too far from you. (A few blocks up from SWF) Their other store isn't too far from Iguana Micro so a trip to Hillsboro may be worth it. Being a corporation though the service is impersonal. I.E. You seldom talk directly to the technicians and instead talk to kids at the counter that probably know less than you do. They are the best at keeping their website updated though. (It gets updated once a day)

My third choice is Pacific Solutions however their stock is usually a bit limited. Their online website also seldom reflects what they actually have.

Beyond these Fry's is probably the next best bet to find what you want and it's my first choice for some items that are almost always cheaper there. (Hard drives, ram, flash memory, and writable media come to mind)

• Like 1

Where to buy a server

Local parts on the Eastside ENU (www.enuinc.com) out on 122nd North of Sandy or Pacific Solutions out on Powell and 55th-ish. Call both places to double check inventory first. I noticed a new place on Sandy right by the Ghrotto but I haven't stopped I there yet.

Online it's probably Newegg, Amazon or Zipzoomfly. Lots of items on Amazon are Prime items which get free 2nd Day shipping if you have an Amazon Prime account (love it btw). Also the Dell Outlet Store online usually has pretty good deals. Also follow them on Twitter for unadvertised specials.

Now the real question is what parts do you need?

• Like 1

Forgot to add that you could check out Free Geek (inner Eastside - 10th-ish and Hawthorne-ish). They take old computers for donation but they also have a store too.

New parts or just used? Never been there but may want to check it out.

I've been thinking of putting together a Ubuntu fileserver' date=' but with NAS prices being so low I'm not sure it really makes sense...[/quote']

Might be cheaper buying the NAS. I was going to convert one of my systems to a NAS awhile back and found that it would probably be cheaper to just buy one.

I need the server to work as a fileserver but also I really need a test environment for the web developing.

I was running Ubuntu with vmware and I'm probably gonna go that way.

At least I need 4gb of ram and 150gb of space. The processor does not need to be super fast.

I will try to put down a list with new components and then visit some of the stores you guys suggested for used parts.

The other option is to buy an used rack server on CL and put a couple of hard drives.

Budget is kinda low, I just bought a new MacBook Pro :)

• Like 1