Vacation anxiety

Holly

We're going to Disneyland/S CA/San Diego with the kids soon for a wk, and I'm having to leave my tank in the hands of a friend that's very nice but doesn't know anything about marine tanks. (scary)

I have the AquaController, which I'm gonna set up to top off every day, but still, if anything unusual happens, it'll be apocolyptic.

What do you guys normally do when you have to go away?

Is there anyone that you can trust that is nearby? Maybe you can pay a small fee to a LFS to answer to an emergency call. Use this post to ask if someone that might be close is willing to answer an emergency call from your friend if needed. Other then that I'm not sure what else you can do........good luck.

I have yet to go on vacation w/o some minor/major disaster. lol

My last trip ended w/ my auto-feeder falling into the tank and poisoning my acro's. Its always something. Make sure and have a batch of saltwater made up so you can do a quick water change when you get home (if needed).

Well, severall good ideas above.maybe run carbon before you leave so if there is a small meltdoun it could help while your out. I would do a w/c before you left also. Try and have fun at Dizzy land. Bring back lot's of pic's. to us cold foggy stuck at home, tank players.:)

id take dchemist up on his offer if not to atleast check tank every few days or if his in area it be worth the piece of mind. Me personnly I have my dad stay here when i leave but still have my bud stop by every other day just to check up but the worst thing thats happens is somthin is always falling into somthin so make sure stuff is glued down or at least move to a safe spot untill you get back.

You guys are so nice! Thanks!

RM - Salmon Creek's in N Vancouver were 205 and 5 merge...

Ringwurm - I'm not listening to that!! ::::going to happy place, happy place::::

I planned on doing a 8-10% WC before I left. I keep a little reef carbon going all the time.

I'm gonna set up my AquaController to top off with a gallon or two every day. So much water evaporates with all my lighting and the surface agitation... My main concern is the evaporation going too far and the skimmer pump not getting water into the skimmer, then the organics exploding..

An AquaController just doesn't replace a person that knows what they're doing, ya know?

Thanks Darren and Austin!! That's really nice of you :D

I think we'll see if someone can come by Wednesday when my friend is here, to do a mid-week overall check-up, just to make sure everything's kosher.. I have to email and find out if the LFS will do that..

Time to set up a webcast! Then you can check on it remotly for some piece of mind.

I would have someone there every other day as well if possible, Im with Ringwurm/greg, Ive had 2 catastrophies while away, having someone there to just look at the tank can go a long way.

In my case I had a hose strap break, sending water everywhere, tripping the breaker and leaving half my acropora high and dry getting cooked by the lights on a seperate breaker. If I had just had someone there that day, it wouldnt have been an issue.

Oh and dont go swiming with your cell phone in your pocket if you rely on it for AC notification,, I would have been saved if only my AC would have paged my phone....

ACK! You're giving me nightmarish scenerios!!

I emailed LFS and am waiting to get an answer. STRESS!! Geez, I was moderately stressed before leaving a thread here, but now I'm ready to just committ a murder/suicide with my tank LOL !!! (crazy)

just think of it this way if you have kids its like the first time you left them with sombody else but everything was fine the tank will be to, you got lot's of capable peeps willing to help so injoy your much deserved trip and have fun.I used to be same way at first but things were always fine.

Holly... if you have an ATO and a calcium reactor, you really don't have anything to worry about. Just make sure your friend knows which foods to feed, how much, and which days. And I would stress VERY much the fact that they are to do NOTHING unless they call you. I had a friend that topped off my tank with saltwater while I was gone for a week, and when I came home my SG was off the charts. Lost a few things... but stuff gets back to normal.

just think of it this way if you have kids its like the first time you left them with sombody else but everything was fine the tank will be to' date=' you got lot's of capable peeps willing to help so injoy your much deserved trip and have fun.I used to be same way at first but things were always fine.[/quote']

eXCEPT FOT THE HAIR LICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Scraped knee, black eye. OH It's all good :)