Plumbing Question

bswe22

So I am plumbing a 38 gallon. I am using a mag 5 pump for the return. It has a 1/2" outlet. My question is should I step that up right out of the pump? Maybe step it up to 1" or 3/4" or would it be best to leave it 1/2" pipe all they way to the top of the tank? (scratch)

Thanks

Bryan

If it's already 1/2" at the pump then stepping it up will only make a difference at the elbows. No need to go to 1" though as it may actually slow the flow down since you will be pushing more water volume up (I'm guessing about 3 times as much). Personally I would probably just stick with 1/2" all of the way to the top unless you have more than a couple of elbows.

The only problem with stepping the pipe size up is it increases the head pressure on the pump as the pump is having to move quite a bit more water. The total output

of the pump will be significantly deceased.

That's what I would do. Even 3/4" is going to almost double the water volume it needs to push uphill. Alternatively you could run flexible tubing (which is actually how I run mine) and then just put a larger elbow at the top which would eliminate most of the restriction from the elbows.

OK, thanks. One more trip to Home Depot.

Bryan

LOL, ain't it fun. I think I made 5 trips to Lowes before I finally got everything I needed last time I did mine. (Oh, and I ended up with a fairly good sized box of spare parts)

LOL' date=' ain't it fun. I think I made 5 trips to Lowes before I finally got everything I needed last time I did mine. (Oh, and I ended up with a fairly good sized box of spare parts)[/quote']

Ha! Only 5? The plumbing guy at HD probably thought I was plumbing a house by the time I was done with my new tank!!!

Ha! Only 5? The plumbing guy at HD probably thought I was plumbing a house by the time I was done with my new tank!!!

It was the fourth tank I set up in as many months so I kind of had it down pat by then.

I used the reefcentral head loss calc and it seems like you would be better off with 1" all the way from the pump compared to 3/4.

Vertical length in feet 4

Horizontal length in feet 1

Pipe diameter in inches .75"

Choose your pump: Mag5

Number of 90 degree elbows 5

Number of 45 degree elbows 0

Number of gate valves 0

Number of ball valves 0

Number of union couplings 0

Number of swing check valves 0

Number of pipe exits 2

Number of pipe entrances 1

Total losses are 4.83 feet of head pressure, or 2.09 PSI. with a flow rate of 257 GPH

Vertical length in feet 4

Horizontal length in feet 1

Pipe diameter in inches 1"

Choose your pump: Mag5

Number of 90 degree elbows 5

Number of 45 degree elbows 0

Number of gate valves 0

Number of ball valves 0

Number of union couplings 0

Number of swing check valves 0

Number of pipe exits 2

Number of pipe entrances 1

Total losses are 4.34 feet of head pressure, or 1.88 PSI. with a flow rate of 287 GPH

That calculator isn't taking into account the head loss from the extra water volume. It also has to be calculated using the smallest diameter of any piece in the plumbing. In this case it needs to be calculated at 1/2" since that is the size of the pump outlet.

050210_0261.jpg

Ok, here is the final outcome. I have a union at the pump if I need to replace or service. I also have a ball valve to shut down water flow if needed to service pump and to control flow. I went with 1/2" on the return so I didn't lose too much pressure. Does anybody see anything I might have missed or did wrong before I glue this all together?

Thanks

Bryan

(clap)(clap)