My DIY 93gal cube progress

impur

Yah i'm thinking 1/2" seam' date=' maybe a little more. I'll play with it as I start to tape off the sides. My thinking is larger definitely won't hurt, but i don't want it to be an eyesore either.[/quote']

Sweet! You gonna use black or clear??? My vote is black (whistle)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmmmm.... Ninkasi....(drooler)

Huh, what... oh ya - if I can throw my opinion out there as a glass guy - if you use black it will show less imperfections, ie bubbles and uneven caulk joints. Also, try pressing a little harder with your finger as your smoothing the joint. Another trick is to lick your finger or spray a little glass cleaner on your finger first and then tool it. Hope that helps!:D

-Dave

Huh, what... oh ya - if I can throw my opinion out there as a glass guy - if you use black it will show less imperfections, ie bubbles and uneven caulk joints. Also, try pressing a little harder with your finger as your smoothing the joint. Another trick is to lick your finger or spray a little glass cleaner on your finger first and then tool it. Hope that helps!:D

-Dave

Have you made some tanks Dave??? Spill it (naughty)

Miles' date=' what's the idea behind having a bottom Euro-brace?[/quote']

Gives the bottom seam more surface area. Just a little piece of mind since there is no top eurobrace. Having that 1" seam on the bottom will really help reinforce it.

-Dave

Too late for the black, i already forked out $60 for the clear. I was going to go black originally, but decided i don't want that framed in look it would give each pane.

Thanks for the tips on the silicon! So you suggest going over the joint with my finger then using the tool to make it look uniform?

Me personally, I wouldn't use a tool - just my finger, but I'm a "professional"! :D Those little tools they sell to help make nice caulk corners for like baths and sinks are just a pain in the butt to me. As long as you have caulk between the glass edges, that inside seam doesn't provide a huge amount of strength. If you press harder (and even pressure too) your caulk joint should turn out a little nicer and more consistant. Press hard enough to feel the edge of the tape against/under your finger.

Not sure what caulking you got, but be sure to check the time it takes to "FULLY CURE". Most of the stuff we use at work is water proof after 24 hours or less, BUT actually takes 14 days to fully cure - which can be a huge difference when you need it to hold a tank full of water together!!

I've never made a tank myself, but I've been thinking about trying one. I haven't figured out the top bracing yet - I thought about putting a 1-2 inch solid rim of plexi around the top, since that would be easier to polish the inside edge - and add strength to the top.

HTH!!

-Dave

Thanks Dave! I was mostly going to use the tool for looks, i want that inside seam to be flawless. Maybe i'll do a couple more practice corners before i jump in on the main tank. I know that inside seam doesn't provide much strength, but its gotta look good! (laugh)

I'm using RTV108 and I have read about the full cure time, which is 7 days at 77 degrees. Well the tank will be built in my garage so its significantly colder. At any rate, i planned to let it site for 3 weeks before i touch it. Then it'll be filled and left on my back patio full for 1 month to ensure structural integrity. I know it could still fail down the road, but a month without leaks works for me.

I would not recommend using acrylic/plexi as your eurobrace. There is no way to ensure the bond between the glass and acrylic. You'd need to either use a small strip of glass, or bump up the glass size and eliminate the top brace all together.

• 4 weeks later...

where are some more updates on this?

getting ready to build a 41 gallon tank and I need you to build yours first!

it is going to be 16x20x30 tall.

if that goes smoothly I will be building a 28x50x30 tall.

for the 41 gallon it is going to be rimless with 3/8 glass

I was planning on the larger one going rimless with 1/2 but thinking it might have to be 5/8 thick.