Caulerpa

Jules

Hi, I have had some type of feather caulerpa in my tank for a while (freebie on by my request on LR) and would like some input on how to care for it and keep it from getting out of control. I have read all about the bad things about it but I want to hear from anyone who keeps it or has in the past and can give me pointers about where is the best place for it, best way to keep it cut back, etc. (plotting) Here is a pick of it now, it is growing slowly but hard to get to and if it gets too tall it dies off at the top causing the water parameters to change a little. Lack of light I'm sure, it is in the back. It's alive and growing and I want to keep it...(clap) Thanks.

post-6292-141867781642_thumb.jpg

Some times if ignored it can be a pain spreading every where. Some like it some don't. If you want to keep a little just keep cutting ( picking, scissors, razor blade)it of maintain what you want. Ya it can cause problems so just keep an eye on it.

Beckie

The variety that you have there looks to be Caulerpa taxifolia. It is a pretty fast grower and I think it is a beautiful sp. to keep. It can easily get out of control so try and keep the rock that it is on isolated from your other rock work if you don't want it spreading. Also make sure and trim it regularly.

Also, if you do decide to get rid of it at some point and you aren't giving it to another in the hobby, I would make sure and put the algae in the freezer overnight before disposing of it. Toss it in your yard debree or trash can after it has been frozen. The reason for this is that it can be quite invasive if it somehow find its way from our river systems and in to our ocean. I am pretty sure that our particular area has way to cold of water for it to thrive but it has progressively been found in colder and colder waters.

Nice score! I love macro algae!!

I may have to get what I can off of the rock where it sits because it is on a big flat rock under other rocks, if I want to isolate it. Maybe put it in front on a smaller peice, or in the sand? It is in an awful spot as well, to get to easily. I figured if I put it in the back it would grow tall and poke out over the rocks but the tip dies off before it gets there.

i managed to get the majority of it from the back of the tank, not as much as there was. (Kind of pulled some of it off the root..put it in the freezer :D) What I did salvage is in front away from the main rocks and stuck into the sand. Now I can get to it much easier and it has a little more light as well. Does anyone have any pics of this in their tank? Do you have it in front? Just curious as to how big you let it get and what it looks like in another tank. My Bicolor Blenny took a couple swipes at it, he might be the one taking little bites off of it. Which probably won't hurt.