Peppermint shrimp babies

jackaninny

I'm pretty sure I just saw one of my two Peppermint shrimp have a bunch of babies. Lights had been out about an hour and I was downstairs getting a drink and wandered by the tank. I saw one of the shrimp just kind of sitting on the sand near the front of the tank and then he started swimming up towards the surface. All of a sudden he took off like a shot and if I hadn't had a canopy on the tank I'm sure he would have jumped out of the tank. Thinking to myself 'well that was strange' I started to notice a ton of tiny objects in the water. Maybe the shrimp was just stirring up copepods or something but then I grabbed a flashlight and they were all the same and I'm sure they are baby shrimps. Crazy.

There are small shrimp that can live in the tank and only come out at night. I have some and I have never had a peppermint shrimp in there. I think that they are a type of Mysis shrimp. That is probably what you have too.

If I remember correctly, peppermint shrimp have a planktonic larva that would quickly be filtered out by a filter, or eaten by something in the tank, or starve from lack of phytoplankton. There is not much chance that the larvae could survive to metamorphosis so that they would "look" like the adult form.

Sorry to contradict you.

dsoz

Well now you've got me curious. Two things about last night were different for sure:

1)The shrimp swimming and jetting off like it did

2)The amount of life swirling around the tank

Like all obsessed people rarely do I get up in the middle of the night and NOT sneak a peek at the tank so I've got a pretty good idea of "normal". I could have easily missed the shrimp swimming around like it was last night. All the small floaters was, for sure, different. I've seen all sorts of copepods and such at night and these looked different but I could have been mistaken. I'll look again around the same time over the next few nights and check it out. Maybe my tank has passed some stage where the copepod population is growing rapidly?

One of mine did this last night with the lights still on and yes they are babies. They were mostly eaten by my banggai cardinal and my orange diamond goby. Same thing though took off like a rocket to the surface and flopped around a bit to release them.

• 2 weeks later...

well 15 days later and she did it again. We were eating dinner and I turned around and noticed her on the power head. I got the whole family to stop and watch and about 20 seconds later boom there she goes. My Banggai loved it lol. I may look into what is involved in growing them out.