Blue Throat Trigger good for reef safe?

NoobtoSalt

So someone was telling me the other day that I should get rid of the blue hippo tang in my tank and I'd have to agree with them. I had no idea these fish got so big. I bought the tank with these fish in it and I have been selling them off but I'd like to do something kind of cool but smaller and i came across these Blue Throat Triggers. They look really cool and from what i've read from most sites these guys seem to be ok with reefs.

Has anyone had any luck with these?

I noticed that Rose City Aquarium has one in stock so I think I might go down and check it out today. Maybe I can trade him my fish? never been down there before so we will see.. My Hippo is about 4" not sure what a fair trade value would be but I can't imagine that I could go wrong at a shop. I think the person that bought my tank originally was trying to build a Finding Nemo tank, and just didn't realize the size of the fish at the end of their growth to adult hood. I had a Koran Angel in here that I already sold off that was around 6-7". I just want these guys to have a good home. I'm not looking to overstock the tank with fish since my main goal is to have more reef than fish. The only worry I have is the clown and fire fish with the trigger. They were fine with the angel so I hope it won't be too bad as long as it's fed.

Nick's (Rosecity) is a good guy from what I have heard. I don't go to Rose City Aquarium much. I should because it is just down the road from me just hasn't been on my Fish store route but I will add it Nick, I promise. Good luck with the Blue throat would love to see pics!

I have 2 hippo tangs in the 150 gallon reef tank and they are doing fine. The Picasso trigger we had did fine with all the other fish and they were all initially in a 55 gallon (temporarily until we upgraded to the 150). Keeping them well fed seems to keep the peace.

Be careful with the coral beauty in a reef tank. Some leave corals alone others don't. We had to get rid of our flame angel because it started pecking at the stony corals. Left all the softies alone.

Just so you know, if you get a bluethroat it may be hard to get to eat and very shy for a week or two. Almost every person I have heard from that got one posted on reefcentral with the same question "why wont my trigger eat?" . lol, seriously, my male was very shy and would barely eat and come out of hiding for like 10 days. Then slowly he did, now I can litterally reach in and grab him out of my tank. I dont hand feed him much anymore cause he likes to nibble my fingers if theres food in them.

But check out reefcentral and search for bluethroats, lots of good advice on them over there.

Bottom line is they are great fish, they dont pick on any other fish, dont mess with inverts of corals. Feed them good and give them a cave or a good crack to sleep in and they are happy.

This is just my personal experience with my pair, had them for about 18 months or so.

Just got one from Saltwater Fantaseas the one down at Rose City didn't look so hot. Great deal thanks for taking care of me fellas.. I've bought a few things from these guys so far and they haven't done me wrong once. Once I get it acclimated and setup I will post some pics. I've been waiting for a Trigger and now I've got one. I feel like a little kid again with a new toy..

Thanks again for all the posts. If it decides to start picking on my fish or inverts I will let you know.

Your pictures are showing me two things..

I either need a new camera, or I need to learn how to be patient and not rush the picture. lol

Amazing fish though

Its the camera, my shots normally look like yours, but I borrowed my mothers fancy canon and it just freezes them it seems.

Congrats on the fish, like I said go over to Reefcentral and do some reading, lots of good stuff and people that have them or have had them.

Regarding shrimp and other inverts (small fish as well). If they are in the tank already then it is doubtful the trigger will bother with them. On the other hand if you go out and buy any new ones then be sure to either add them at night or distract the trigger first. Otherwise they may not make it to the bottom of the tank. (My last trigger took out a green chromis within seconds of adding it)

Well the good news is the trigger looks great in my tank.

The bad news is I just noticed that my Blood Shrimp was split in half over the night....

This Sucks. He was in his little den that he always stayed in. I can't really blame the trigger but it was an impressive co-incident that he's dead the same night I get the trigger. Not sure what shrimp I should get now to replace my little buddy..

And the fact that I need to do it before my son gets home from school or he's going to freak out that the shrimp died...lol

Well the good news is the trigger looks great in my tank.

The bad news is I just noticed that my Blood Shrimp was split in half over the night....

This Sucks. He was in his little den that he always stayed in. I can't really blame the trigger but it was an impressive co-incident that he's dead the same night I get the trigger. Not sure what shrimp I should get now to replace my little buddy..

And the fact that I need to do it before my son gets home from school or he's going to freak out that the shrimp died...lol

Are you sure the shrimp you see isn't just a molt? I ask specifically because the molt usually looks exactly like what you describe. They literally split in half and the shrimp crawls out of the shell and then hides while the new shell hardens.

• 2 weeks later...