Simple ATO

Gabe

After reading newfisher's recent thread I decided to do this ATO thread. When I started my 55 build I knew I didn't want to have to keep up with evap. with a cup like I did with my 29. We are currently renting, and didn't want to drill any holes to plumb in a line to my RO/DI.

I used sched 20 (thinner wall for more water volume). I used abs in a couple places simply because it is black.

Material list;

10'-4" sched 20 pvc,

1-4" cap,

2-4" 90,

1-4" to 2" abs reducer,

1-2" abs 90,

1-2" abs cap,

short pc. 2" pvc,

4-4" two hole pipe straps,

1/4"? poly tubing,

1-str con for tubing,

1-float valve (I found the swamp cooler variety to be the cheapest, $3, and haven't had it fail yet)

So I made a big u with the pipe and the 90's. When I glued the 90's together I made sure to clock them (only about an inch from the fill end around the corner to the capped end) a little so the water will flow down, not just sit in the middle somewhere. Capped one opening, and put the reducer on the other. I used 2" to go through the wall of the stand and into the abs 90 for my fill port. At the bottom of the capped 4" I drilled and tapped 1/4 npt threads for the fitting. I used the pipe straps to hang the resivoir in the top of the stand above the sump. The float valve attaches to your sump. I made a bracket out of aluminum and siliconed it to the back of my sump instead of drilling the glass.

The only thing I have had to change is the float rod was galv. steel, and started showing signs of corrosion after about a month. I have some scraps of polycarbonate in the garage, so I made a new float support, and pin.

I use a 5gal water bottle to fill the res. and it is a good fit in that 2" 90.

The resivoir holds about 5 gal. Since I loose just less than a gal a day, I can be gone for a week before I have any issues.

This could be modified for different stand configurations I'm sure. Here are some formulas to determine your possible res. volume.

*radius X radius X 3.1416 = area of circle*, *area X length = volume* There are 231 cubic inches in a galllon.

Example 4" pipe 96" total length: 2x2x3.1416=12.5664, 12.5664x96=1206.3744, 1206.3744/231=5.2224gal

I hope this is usefull to someone:D

Thanks for looking

Gabe

post-6106-141867781313_thumb.jpg

post-6106-141867781607_thumb.jpg

post-6106-141867781613_thumb.jpg

post-6106-141867781617_thumb.jpg

post-6106-141867781623_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That is a great idea!! I have been trying to figure out how and whare to put my resivor for my gravity feed ATO for a couple monthes now, and that is a sick idea! I hope you dont mind if I use this idea. So your saying that an 8 foot piece of 4inch pipe is basicaly 5 gallons?

Like Emerald525 said, the idea is worth a frag lol(whistle) Go ahead, you could use different sizes of pipe to fit your needs. The best part is the parts are cheap, and easy to get. I think I spent no more than $20

Gabe