Whats your opinion on sump/fuge life?

newfisher

I have a 90g fish only with a 40g breeder sump/fuge. Filter sock, bubble trap,live rock,skimmer then through washable filter pad into fuge with macro and circulation pump. For that side. I am getting quite a bit of large "debris" in the 1st area. Excess food and detritus settling amonst the live rock and around the skimmer body. Not wanting to vacuum it out, should I put a 1. Damsel in there to break down the larger chuncks so the skimmer can be more effective? 2. Snails and hermits or 3. Starfish? What do you think or use?

Thanks.

Vacuuming would be a 1/2 project due to space restictions. I would have to empty 30lbs of rubble out piece by piece. Like most, looking for a simpler solution,but everything that eats,poops. Was thinking of getting something to break down the larger pieces into something the skimmer could process easier.

Get a small shop-vac, some PVC fittings, a threaded hose-barb and some 1/2" vinyl tubing and make something that looks like this:

vac.png

Then either jam or tape the shop-vac hose to the PVC end. Make the vinyl hose long enough and you can target-vacuum the hell out of your sump.

posting pics

post a picture of your sump/skimmer. If skimmer in the sump pulls from it's own pump. You can shut down the tank' date=' stirrup the sump and have the shimmer pull out the crap. Then water change the sump.[/quote']

I use my phone for internet , usually not at home, and have yet to get the photbucket picture transfer thing figured out....makes me really appreciate those who have taken the time to post pics!

Yah i've gone thru different sump setups, and having nothing but equipment down there has been the best yet. I've got a skimmer, heater, return pump. Float switches and 2 media reactors hang off the side, 1 small pump to feed the reactors. Basically i can pull everything out of my sump in 3 minutes and then vacuum it with my shopvac.

Re: Whats your opinion on sump/fuge life?

Yah i've gone thru different sump setups, and having nothing but equipment down there has been the best yet. I've got a skimmer, heater, return pump. Float switches and 2 media reactors hang off the side, 1 small pump to feed the reactors. Basically i can pull everything out of my sump in 3 minutes and then vacuum it with my shopvac.

you run a fug too?