Anyone add aftermarket ipod dock to your car?

impur

I am so tired of scratched cds and the radio, i NEED to get my iphone connected to my car to listen to music. Has anyone done this? There are several units out there, ranging from $60 to $300 so its hard to decide. I'm just curious how it worked for you and what unit you went with

My old car I just bought an aftermarket deck with the ipod connector, and wired it into my glove compartment. You can also get one of the connectors that plugs into a cigarette lighter and makes a tiny radio station in your car that you tune into and listen to your ipod from...costs about $50. It's what I use now.

Hi there, (This is Beckie's son)

As a former car audio installer I can say that the direct connection is the way to go, I would NOT recommend RF modulation as someone has mentioned as an option. This is when you plug the iPod/iPhone into a unit which transmits a weak signal radio station; you will not be happy with the quality of this.

The way to go is to get an aftermarket head unit that will allow you to plug in your iPod in and have it charge while it feeds the sound to the radio. Some factory radios support CD changers, most of these have aftermarket modules that will allow for iPod connectivity. These modules typically range in price from about $100 to $180 from your local car stereo shop. If you're somewhat technically and mechanically inclined you can save yourself a nice chunk of change by purchasing the module online and installing it yourself.

Without more information about the setup you currently have and what exactly you're looking for I can't make any suggestions for you. You do need to be sure that whatever you go for does support the USB charging voltage of 5v as opposed to the old charging method of the iPods which was 12v Firewire. There are adapters to get around this, but they're about $20 on top of whatever adapter you have to get the iPod/iPhone connected to the car in the first place. (Scosche makes this unit and they're typically known for making really quality products).

Now for ONE more option, you can do the headphone jack option as input but your sound quality isn't going to be as high and you're going to drain your battery unless you have a car charger. Most if not all of the units that plug into the bottom of the iPod/iPhone charge it while controlling it as well (this means you control the music selection from the radio, not from the phone).

Hope you enjoyed the bombardment of information :-)

Much appreciated Beckie's son!! The one i'm looking at does plug into the bottom of my iphone, but does not charge my particular phone. It also comes with an additional AUX connection for other devices, and it plugs into the unused XM plug in the back of my stereo. Since it allows for connecting to my iphone via the bottom port AND the headphone jack, i think this will suit me fine. If my phone is low on battery, i can plug it in to charge, while using the headphone jack to play music.

I'm curious just how much using the headphone jack lowers the quality though?

Here is what i'm looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-ACCORD-2003-03-iPOD-iPHONE-AUX-INPUT-IN-ADAPTER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad7fed2d3QQitemZ390170858195QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Miles...

1) I just put in a new stereo with iPod connection for glovebox...pretty cool...

2) Radio RF modulators...have purchased 2 different ones and they suck...

3) At times used wife's car with tape deck and iPod plugin...actually not too bad...

4) Took a week long road trip with friend and sirius...fantastic reception, we jammed to the same station for a week while traveling 2700 miles...it was pretty cool...

DrMerle

I wish i could just install a new stereo but i'd have to install it below the OEM one, in the cubby that i keep some stuff in. It would just look tacky.

The GROM unit looks great, and gets great reviews. For just $40 more than the Axxess unit i was going to get, the GROM has charging, controls the ipod from the stereo and steering wheel, plus is still has the extra AUX connection. I think i'm gonna spring for it.

Thanks Steve! :D

+2 for sirius! I'm tellin ya - best deal for the money' date=' especially if you have a wide range of music you like. Everything but country! (rock2)[/quote']

There's no doubt that this is the way to go for some....maybe most....people.....but, for folks like me, it's useless. I tend to just listen to the same 50 tracks over...and over....and over...again. I don't think I listen to anything post 1989....except maybe some Hawaiian music which I will play the same track for 8 hours straight in a loop. The IPOD is the best thing since sliced bread for freaks of nature like me.

There's no doubt that this is the way to go for some....maybe most....people.....but' date=' for folks like me, it's useless. I tend to just listen to the same 50 tracks over...and over....and over...again. I don't think I listen to anything post 1989....except maybe some Hawaiian music which I will play the same track for 8 hours straight in a loop. The IPOD is the best thing since sliced bread for freaks of nature like me.[/quote']

I love streaming Hawaiian music!!!

My old car I just bought an aftermarket deck with the ipod connector' date=' and wired it into my glove compartment. You can also get one of the connectors that plugs into a cigarette lighter and makes a tiny radio station in your car that you tune into and listen to your ipod from...costs about $50. It's what I use now.[/quote']

Mine was like $15 bucks at Freddy Myers. They're pretty cheap now, especially the ones with the preset stations.

Re: Anyone add aftermarket ipod dock to your car?

I got a unit from Dice Electronics. Works great and will charge my iPhone at the same time I'm using it. If my Honda had factory navigation it would push all the song info to my deck also. Had a local installer here in Portland put it in - Mobile West on NE Broadway / 503-257-0488.

Well i got the Grom unit today!!! (clap) I'll probably wait to install it until this weekend. Since it has 2 in puts, one AUX and one for the iphone, i had to pickup a 3.5mm male to male cable for the AUX input. The site i got the Grom unit from wants $7.99, thank goodness for monoprice.com - $2.38 shipped :D

Got it installed on Saturday. Was pretty simple, i found a tutorial for taking the pieces apart in my car so that made that part real easy. I ended up running the wires to my middle console cubby, then used a rubber gromet where they come thru the plastic. Works great!!! I get cd quality sound, without skipping, and i can control the ipod with my steering wheel radio controls i love it!! I tested the AUX connection and it works great too, just isn't as loud as the iphone connection.

Thanks again Steve for the suggestion. Its great not to deal with CDs anymore :D