Upgrades?

nyoder23

It's basically biological filtration, google is your very bestest friend when getting into this hobbie, unless your a lazy a## like myself who asks questions LOL.

The best way I can describe it is that it is the most natural style of filtration that you can get, it most closely resembles the filtration that the ocean itself uses.

And it's less maintanence than a wet/dry filter and what not LOL.

yes you do have to clean them but not completely or else you wash all the bateria off and then it is like starting over again so i see where those become a problem. So i will have to change the back and let you know how it worked.

Thanks for the idea

Dump the bioballs and get an Intank Media Basket and out floss, purigen and Chemi-pure in the order in it.

Get a Maxijet 1200 pump and widen the notch between chamber 1 and 2 in the back - this will give you more flow. Instead of the Maxijet you could try a Rio 6HF but the one unit I got was pretty noisy so I'm not sold on it.

Don't bother with anything else except a Vortech MP10w ES. Lay down the cash and only cry once. Nothing else even comes close and you will have fewer pieces of equipment in the display area.

Upgrade the lighting. Nanocustoms.com is getting ready to release a T5/LED retro fit kit so you can keep the stock hood. I think it will give enough PAR to keep just about anything. If you need to save for a few months then order their house brand PC bulbs which will give you a bump of about 20% in lighting over the stock bulbs.

Ditch the sponge between chamber 2 and 3 also.

That should keep you busy for a little bit.

What I did is cut a hole in chamber #1(or if it's already got water' date=' just bust a few of the plastic teeth sections out) & put your heater in there. That way you don't have your heater in the main display area.[/quote']

+1 on this - should have added that to my list. It's free and getting the heater out of the main display area is a bonus. I broke the grating out but I've heard you can lift that false floor up and it will pop out in one piece.

Bio balls' date=' in my opinion are nitrate factories, based solely off of my own research. Plus, you have to clean em every so often, bleh, a refugium, no cleaning other than pruning your macro-algae LOL.[/quote']

Just curious what your research methods were to find that an inert object was capable of producing nitrates? It is currently believed to be scientifically impossible.

Sorry pet peeve. ;)

There is nothing wrong with bio balls when used appropriately IMO. That said I don't use them in my tank because I hate pulling them to clean them.