start of the 29G biocube

nyoder23

Here is my 29g biocube not much to really brag about but i will be doing upgrades and adding rock and coral. Looking to retrofit an LED light sytem to the hood. But we will see. They said i need to put some pics up so here it is. Wiil keep posting when things start getting upgraded and better looking.

Not bad for a tank that was given to me for free with all that you see except the puffer and red star fish.

post-6280-141867781245_thumb.jpg

post-6280-141867781248_thumb.jpg

it is one that has a figure 8 on its back. I think i was told they really are for the fresh water community but he seems to be just fine. Some one else told me that they had one and it left all their coral and other fish alone. So thought i would try one.

Nick, I'd add some more rock, do you have sand or gravel in the tank? If it's gravel, ditch it and get some aragnite sand, the stuff is great.

You're going to need probably 30-35lbs of LR in the tank, but, you can supplement the total rock weight with dry base rock, its cheaper. Me personally, I'd pick up 20lbs of dry rock and another 5-10lbs of LR.

Are you using the stock filtration? And the stock lighting? If so, I'd suggest ripping the top off of the tank and getting a 150w MH fixture, there's a clip on version that comes with a fan included thats really nice, here, that light will allow you to keep any corals you'd like in that tank, plus with the fan built into the fixture, it should keep your heat problems to a minimum.

As for the filtration, I suggest, if you are using the stock filtration, ripping it out and turning the back of the tank into a refugium, there are many places online where you can find the best way to modify the filtration area into a refugium.

I'll have more for ya later.

I was looking online and they have a retro fit for the 150w to be put into the hood with aftermarket fans. But I will have to do some research on that because it looks like a lot of work for the amount of money you have to spend. I never thought of buying rock that way. Sounds good to me thank you for the info and when ya have more info just let me know that would be great.

I come from the pond side so i know a little but still really different ball game here.