Clams

timwald144

High lights, STABLE Ca and Alk levels...moderate flow...definitely not too strong because their mantles will get blown all over the place...kinda like Marilyn Monroe's skirt.

My clams enjoy a phyto feeding, but you don't need to feed them...Just high light (MH's recommended)

Clams are filter feeders, so if you have high nutrient levels(many fish), your clam should be relatively happy(assuming your water params are good and stable).

Try to keep them out of the sand if you can. I can't, so my clams are in the sand. It's tempting to move clams to and fro...You should really avoid moving the clams once they are established.

The biggest problem's I have encountered in the past were with clam predators. Clams are tasty. Each particular fish/invert is a little different. Here is the rule of thumb I go by: If it has claws, I avoid it(blue and red leg hermits excluded). I have seen Sally lightfoot's, cleaner shrimp and especially peppermint shrimp DEVOUR a clam quickly. There are also lots of fish that will pick at a clam...wrasses and angels to name a couple...I keep a six line wrasse well fed and he leaves my clams alone.

You should also inspect the under base of the clam for damage. If you can get one attached to a rock, BONUS! If not, check and make sure there aren't any tears or infected looking areas under the clam. A damaged foot will likely mean a slow death for a clam.

A good starter would be a Deresa clam...although they lack in color. Maxima's and Crocea's are the bees knees! So purty...but a little more sensetive.

You also have to make sure if you have them up high that they are well secured. We had one fall and that was the end of it. The new one we got from Isaac and he was kind enough to give us a flat rock for it to attach to and so far it is doing well on the bottom of the tank. It's a Crocea. I agree the Blue Maximus and Crocea are awesome.

Derasa clams want to be on the sand, crocea and maximas want to be on some rockwork. When happy, derasas grow like weeds -- mine outgrew my tank in a little less than two years... the crocea I bought before the derasa is still fine.

I haven't found any difference in the difficulty of care between derasas and croceas (never kept maximas). I'd choose first based on where in your tank you want to put it (on the sand, go for a derasa otherwise crocea or maxima) then by color. Remember too that a healthy clam will be one of the longer-lived critters in your tank so choose a color you'll be happy with for a long time :)

.... so choose a color you'll be happy with for a long time :)

On the same note be sure you look at the clam through the side of the tank when you buy it. The look quite a bit different through glass than they do when you just look down through water from the top. (That beautiful purple clam might look brown instead when you look through glass)