Foam, Rock and Spray Paint?

jadams7

Ok this may be a dumb question but I will give it a shot anyways...

I recently used some of the 'Great Stuff' foam to attach some dry pieces of rock together for my new tank setup (thread to be started soon), and now I want to add some texture to the foam portion.

Can anyone think of some potential problems I will/would run into if I textured using some of the stone/speckled spray paint found in most spray paint sections?(I think I have seen it called Krylon-Make it Stone or something like that).

I have heard of people using various spray paints in reef tanks before, I just wasnt sure if this would be different, or how long it might hold up.

Thanks for any help!

I would just use epoxy to seal up the foam and then stick sand to it for texture. Make sure you get all the foam sealed up because it will break down eventually from your lights.

^^ Yeah what he said! I think he has done it a time or two! ^^^^

(clap) (naughty) :D

I did that for the foam rock wall for the back of the tank, and it worked fine, but ran out of the epoxy I had to special order, and was looking for a quicker solution for the little bit of foam holding a couple rocks together before they get covered in coraline. I know it will not last multiple years, but its more of the experimental stage for me. Would the spray paint stuff be fine in reef tanks?

BTT

this is my back wall, just make sure after the foam has "set" go back in on the back side and hollow out the foam as much as you can or the thing will float on you - better than the Titanic DOH!

foam-rock-wall.jpg

rock-wall.jpg

Did you attach any rock to the wall prior to foaming it? I have not watered mine yet, but did put a decent amount of rock on it before the foam...hoping it doesnt float!