Coraline?

KMiller

I have Coraline starting to grow all over my new(ish.. 2 months old) overflow box. I was hoping to nip it in the bud before it got out of hand.. or should i not?

It's all over the back and side walls of my tank.. but I gave up on trying to get it off! lol

Is Coraline good? bad? ugly?(scratch)

Hope no one minds if I piggy-back on this thread. What's the best way to get coralline algae off the sides of an acrylic tank? I scratched our tank trying to get it off by scraping with the edge of a credit card. I ordered a kit to polish the scratches out of the acrylic, but it started growing back before I even got a chance to polish the tank. How to I keep it at bay?

We recently switched to metal halide lighting, so I was wondering if the increased light levels were causing the coralline growth. Should I cut back on how long we leave the light on?

Thanks!

Go to an acrylics supply company in your area and have them cut a 4 inch square piece of 1/8 inch. Use the fresh sharp flat sides to safely scrape the acrylic tank. As the sides get dull (they won't clean as well) take it back to the acrylic shop and have them re-cut a fresh edge on 4 sides.