RO/DI Unit

bswe22

The link expired so I can't see the specific item but looking at the seller's other items it seems fine. I've been running an e-bay special for a while now and am pretty happy with it.

You don't need ultra fine carbon filters unless you have lots of gunk in your water. I'm lucky to have pretty good water going into my RODI, so I don't have to change my filters much (still have 0 TDS out the back end). The point of the carbon filters is to get gunk out before it gets to the RO membrane. Replacement carbon filters are cheap. New RO membranes are not. And the point of those steps is to get the most gunk out possible before it gets to the DI media, which is even more expensive.

I have this exact unit and it works fine. I live in Beaverton and the water is not bad. The seller is really great and their customer service is pretty quick. My RO membrane failed recently and he is going to send me a new one after I send the defective one back to him. They warranty all of it for 1 year. I think you can get a better price if you go to their website directly.

• 5 weeks later...
If you are going to go that route, at a minimum unclip those DI stages and mount them vertically with bottom up flow.

Russ

Buckeye have any specials going on right now? I'm one of those AIO 29G guys who needs a push to make the in home RODI system jump. I mean besides saving me from carrying a 5 gal jug around. (laugh)

Why should you have the DI filters vertical? What difference will that make?(scratch)

Bryan

From our FAQ's:

Horizontal DI housings are a design intended to minimize the original cost of the system - you should be prepared for the tradeoffs. Horizontal DI units typically contain 8 oz. to 16 oz. of resin. Typical vertical DI cartridges contain 20 oz of resin. Obviously the more resin contained in the housing the longer it will last and the better treatment it will provide.

Some horizontal DI housings are not refillable - you'll therefore have to pay for a new housing every time you need to replace the DI resin. The cost of repeatedly replacing the horizontal housing will far outweigh any money saved up-front in purchasing the unit.

Perhaps most importantly, horizontal DI housings are a less than ideal arrangement for water treatment. DI resin beds shrink/settle through normal use over their life span. You'll note that a cartridge that was full when new can sometimes have a ¼ inch of empty space in it when fully expended. When DI resin settles in a horizontal housing, it leaves a pathway (of least resistance) along the top of the housing where water can flow while coming into minimal contact with the DI resin.

You’ll note that the output from the DI housing is at the center of the end of the housing. Depending upon how your system is configured, RO water may enter the DI housing in port, fill up the housing until the water level reaches the out port (i.e., fill up the bottom half of housing), and then exit the DI housing. Your RO water has been in contact only with half the resin in the housing.

Russ