Cyano product reef safe???

Berger9953

Hello Berger,

I've read this thread and many others like it over the last 5 years that I've kept reef tanks, regarding the use of "chemicals" to treat outbreaks of cyanobacteria. Invariably, there are replies from both opposite perspectives:

1) Treat the source of the problem and you'll never have to use chemicals to clear it up;

2) Use the chemicals, as they are fine for the infrequent treatment of the problem.

Like everything in this hobby, dissenting opinions are rampant. The reality of this issue and most others in reefkeeping is that there is a heck of lot of grey area between the extremes.

Naturally, good husbandry techniques and a dedication to maintenance are critical to helping to eliminate this problem, and to maintaining a generally healthy tank. This is the ideal resolution. However, in the real world, a commitment to this effort over the long term may not ever completely resolve your issue, and in those instances, many, (including myself) have resorted to products like Chemi-Clean and had favorable results.

These forums provide an excellent means to post ideas and get feedback, however they rarely provide you, or anyone for that matter, with the absolute answer we'd all hope to receive. As I'm sure you recognize, everyone has an opinion in this hobby. All you can do is solicit info, filter it down and ultimately make your own decision. Good luck with yours.

Mark

Thank you so much with all of the wonderful feedback!! Thanks everyone including mark for the great posts! My bulbs are only about 1-2 months old. I have high water flow IMO(one koralia nano and one 30g biobube aqueon). I dont know what the source of the nutrients are! I vacuum, then use RO water and mix the appropriate salt, let it set for 24hrs, heat it to tank temp and pour it in(obviously have it ready for the day of removing water). What I'm hearing is that everyone agrees its a phase, and that is great to hear. I'm very dillegent with the wcs, but I think I will purchase some chemiclean, thanks everyone!