Xenia not acclimating to new tank

Berger9953

I just got some new Pulsing gold strip Xenia at my lfs on friday. It was good in the lfs, but the minute I put it in my tank it started shrinking, it's shriveled and disgusting and is getting worse by the day. All parameters are good. With about 10 nitrates, which you would think would be good for it knowing that Xenia like "dirty tanks". Except ca is a bit high about 490-500.It was in a area at the bottom with medium flow, so I put it up higher and with lower flow and its not any better!! Idk what to do, can someone give me some advice??

BTW, all other livestock and corals are great, except the Xenia!!!

I am not sure. I have no problem growing any kind of xenia. I have had a few folks say no matter what they try nothing works. Some have tried many many times. If you were closer I would give you some. Some say give it some iodine.

Beckie

For about an hour or two, not drip, just simple adding cups of water every fifteen minutes. I dose iodine regularly, but I haven't the last couple of times, maybe I should now. I'll go add some...I'll see if that works.

Sorry, Id give you a pic but I don't have my camera right now, my brother is useing it for a trip and he's on the east coast! Not an easy place to go and retrieve it from...

If it starts to die, get it out...you dont want that gunk in your tank...if you can avoid it.

Xenia is extremely salinity sensitive. Oftentimes they just need a couple weeks to adjust to temp and salinity. The nitrates shouldnt hurt it, nor should the Ca.

There is only so much you can do to avoid this from happening...you wouldn't want to adjust your whole tank salinity in order to make the xenia happy...hopefully it will adjust in time.

Xenia is one of those corals that works too well for some people and then not at all for other people with seemingly the same parameters.(scratch)

Thanks for the reply, How do I know if it's dead or not???

If it starts to die, get it out...you dont want that gunk in your tank...if you can avoid it.

Xenia is extremely salinity sensitive. Oftentimes they just need a couple weeks to adjust to temp and salinity. The nitrates shouldnt hurt it, nor should the Ca.

There is only so much you can do to avoid this from happening...you wouldn't want to adjust your whole tank salinity in order to make the xenia happy...hopefully it will adjust in time.

Xenia is one of those corals that works too well for some people and then not at all for other people with seemingly the same parameters.(scratch)

I brought some up from Cali a few years ago. When I put it in the tank it had shriveled to one single sad pulsing hand, but it came back and came back huge.

I think it needs to be acclimated very slowly and IME it does not ship well. There is some speculation it uses iodide, but I don't think it's nutrient uptake has been defined for sure.

IME once it is established most varieties grow very fast. I would keep it isolated on an island in the sand.

JMO