Sand Size

pledosophy

So what are you using?

I have always used an argonite, but am having an internal debate on grain size between the sands that are .2-1.2m an the ones that are closed to 4.0mm.

Does the larger grain lead to less sand flying about?

I would like to have at least a 3-4" bed in some places for the wrasses chinstrap and potter's wrasse.

I haven't setup a tank in a while, 125 on the way.

:D

I use a mix of sizes (#3 and smaller, I think). The 3-5" bed in my 110g has done a great job with denitrification. I did a little reading on denitrification and a couple of sources suggested that a mix of sizes was helpful in establishing the life (worms, etc.) that help aid in keeping the bed active and alive and denitrifying.

In Utah we are lucky to have a source of free oolite sand. It is super fine and works great for a DSB. I put about 4 inches in my display and I really like the way it is working. Before I had a goby it didn't stir up into the water. I don't really mind the little bit that does fly around the tank from time to time so I would use it again and again. It's a good soft sand for gobies and would be soft on a ray's belly as well. It is just like the oolite sand you can buy in bags. For people who don't like the way it can fly around the tank, a remote DSB would be the best use for oolite.