Durso Stand Pipe - Help!

Frank

Not sure how you made the top, but you need to adjust the air intake to allow for slightly more air in. I made mine with holes drilled through the cap and tube so that I could adjust the air by turning the cap in either direction, thereby limiting or increasing the amount of air going in. If all the holes are open and it was still producing the same toilet sounds, all I had to do was drill another hole in the side and turn to adjust.

By your last comment, I'm assuming you just took the old standpipe and put it on the new tank? Just because the air requirements were calibrated in the old tank doesn't mean it'll be calibrated for a new tank with different length of drop into the sump. Hope that helps

Drill a bigger hoe in it and see what happens.

You should have went with the herbie methodDOH!

I thought about putting in a herbie method, but it seemed like it took too much room with that extra pipe in there and you figure you don't want to drill an extra hole in there. Or am I confusing that method with another?

No right method as you need 2 holes in the tank. When I ran mine I had 2 hoiles in there but one was for the return. Ended up just running the return over the back of he tank.

I know when I set up my new system I will only run the herbie and run the return through a sea swirl. With the herbie it is just quiet and nothing to worry about.

I did that too for about a week. Came down in the middle of the night a couple times to check to seeDOH!

Did you not have a emergency pipe?I capped on of my returnes and watched it for a while to make sure it would keep up. One of the 1.5" returns can keep up with my dart running at full power. I will find the article on reefcentral and post a link later for the people who haven't heard of it. Bulk reef supply did a YouTube video on a silent overflow which originally pointed me to it.

I thought about putting in a herbie method' date=' but it seemed like it took too much room with that extra pipe in there and you figure you don't want to drill an extra hole in there. Or am I confusing that method with another?[/quote']

Yep, Herbie requires 2 holes however in my opinion it is not an extra hole anyway as it's smart to have a backup drain capable of handling the flow.

Frank, I know your trying to set this up with one drain but if it's at all possible I would add a second just for safety sake and then go with the herbie instead (kill 2 birds with one stone). My tanks are in the same room as my TV (2 1/2 feet away). Using the herbie setup it is dead silent. The loudest part in it is the hum from the ballast in the lights when they come on which I can hear if I get close to the tank.