Wrasse problems

racefan

OK here's my deal. I got a Pencil Wrasse, it lived about 1-2 days.I acclimated with a drip method for about an hour,it was swimming & looking OK then it died all of a sudden.It had white spots that Patrick(SWF) said was most likely stress related. I went & got a Christmas Wrasse of Fri. & it was doing great, ate just fine sat. night when I fed the fish,swimming all over. This AM when the lights came on it did not look so good. Had white spots like the other Wrasse. I have not seen it or can I find it by hunting around in the tank.Patrick tested my water prams. on Fri. & said they were good(SG was a tad high so I adjusted it before I acclimated the fish) I am wondering if there could be something in the sand that could have gotten to both of them? They both buried themselves in the sand at night. All other fish are doing fine.I also picked up a Blue Tang at the same time as the Pencil Wrasse & it's doing fine(fingers crossed) that's why I'm wondering about sand related?

If your water is testing fine other than a High SG, depending on how that was-the questions I would ask would be;

How long had the fish been at the LFS?

If the fish were a "new" addition" I would not need to do anymore research-Once these fish are harvested-the next 2-4 days are brutal-and the true mortality rate I would only believe if it came from my closest friend AND they were involved, i.e. trans shipper, receiver-something.

There are a couple stores I have bought from and I can tell you the "stats" on death from those stores is 2:1 or higher over other stores I have got from.

My guess is you did nothing wrong the fish died from stress and those spots you saw/see are proof.

I would rather pay a LFS for a fish-have them hold it for at least a week, see it eat, and act normal" before bringing it home-if they are not willing-take your business somewhere elsewhere.

Fortunately SWF has like a 72 hr guarantee or something on the fish living-not sure exactly but I saw he offers it-Good for him, that's a great safety net to have!

I dont see the blame or cause being on you/your tank-

Like Nick said, could have been "infected" before you got them, another reason to have the store hold them-you win they win

• Like 1

I believe they had been there since the 23rd?(in the store)

They were looking healthy & eating good that's why I was wondering if it was something with the sand. I hate losing fish but it helps if it's possibly beyond your control. I wish I had a QT tank.(ok it's not beyond my control I guess) I wish I could find it so I could get the carcass out.

• 1 month later...
Guest HENARRY JAYA

First thing I can think of off the top of my head the wrasse you purchased was a brackish water fish not a full salt. Second thing, you did not acclamate him properly and third, your tank wasn't ready to house him.

While there are many types of cleaner wrasse here there are Marine ( Labroides family) marine/brackish brackish brackish/fresh and fresh only. Did the store give you the name of the fish? Most likely it wasn't a full salt fish.